A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

PS pressure hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS pressure hose

I have placed an order of ps pressure hose (second hose connected to rack) since I found some serious leak. Is there any other part I should have to buy, such as o-ring, washer, etc???

My car is 99 2.8 AHA quattro.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PS pressure hose

Originally Posted by 721227
.....I found some serious leak. Is there any other part I should have to buy, such as o-ring, washer, etc???

My car is 99 2.8 AHA quattro.

Thanks in advance!
The aluminium crush washers on the hose 'banjo' fittings will need to be replaced. You can match them up at a parts house, but I believe the high pressure hose (19mm fitting) washers are 14 X 20 X 1,5. Copper washers can be substituted in place of the original aluminium ones.

Where exactly is the leak located? It is usually the steering rack itself that leaks rather than the hoses. Unless the hose fittings were loosened or moved, it is unlikely the 'banjo' fittings will leak.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought it's just the pressure hose leaking. Do you think it's something else? Any thought would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default PS pressure hose

I thought it's just the pressure hose leaking. Do you think it's something else? Any thought would be appreciated.
It appears the hose is wet; do you have any power steering fluid coming out into the steering rack end boots?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, but I need to check it again.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default PS pressure hose

No, but I need to check it again.
I see in the photo the breather tube is disconnected from the head; I assume you disconnected the tube to have a clearer photo of the hose.

How much power steering fluid have you lost since you first noticed the leak?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are correct. I was working on something else, and so I disconnected some parts here and there.

Anyways, I usually add ps fluid almost once a week. It's like about 1/2" lowered level of fluid in the reservoir when I check it every week.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I'd start by degreasing, then pay attention to where you see the oil appear again, to be sure it is that hose. I had a pressure hose leak on our Passat 1.8T last year, and changed it. I'd suggest that you take the driver's side wheel off, and the plastic shroud where the tie-rod passes through, so you can also carefully clean under the rack.

If it's anything like the Passat, there's not much working room at the rack connection. I used U-joint socket and extensions from below to get at the banjo bolt. I also reused the aluminum crush-washers, smoothing both sides on a wide flat file first- and have no leaks. Here's a trick to put it back together: Install the banjo bolt with both washers on the rack-end of the hose, using a rubber band wrapped around the exposed bolt threads. Now the hose can be eased into place by one person, while another works through the wheel well to get the socket on the bolt head, and get it started on the rack's threads. After a couple of turns, pull on the rubber band until it breaks and comes off. I used a length of coat-hanger wire with a hooked end. Purge air as usual with the front wheels off the ground, turing lock-to-lock many times. After a few days recheck the banjo bolt tightness.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default PS pressure hose

Originally Posted by turbo510
.....If it's anything like the Passat, there's not much working room at the rack connection. I used U-joint socket and extensions from below to get at the banjo bolt. I also reused the aluminum crush-washers, smoothing both sides on a wide flat file first- and have no leaks. Here's a trick to put it back together: Install the banjo bolt with both washers on the rack-end of the hose, using a rubber band wrapped around the exposed bolt threads. Now the hose can be eased into place by one person, while another works through the wheel well to get the socket on the bolt head, and get it started on the rack's threads. After a couple of turns, pull on the rubber band until it breaks and comes off. I used a length of coat-hanger wire with a hooked end.....
That is a great idea with the rubber bands!

What I have found also helps given the tight area to work within is to remove the rack bottom bolt and loosen the top two so the rack can be moved around slightly. You will need a 10mm 12-point socket for the bolts.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
I'd start by degreasing, then pay attention to where you see the oil appear again, to be sure it is that hose. I had a pressure hose leak on our Passat 1.8T last year, and changed it. I'd suggest that you take the driver's side wheel off, and the plastic shroud where the tie-rod passes through, so you can also carefully clean under the rack.

If it's anything like the Passat, there's not much working room at the rack connection. I used U-joint socket and extensions from below to get at the banjo bolt. I also reused the aluminum crush-washers, smoothing both sides on a wide flat file first- and have no leaks. Here's a trick to put it back together: Install the banjo bolt with both washers on the rack-end of the hose, using a rubber band wrapped around the exposed bolt threads. Now the hose can be eased into place by one person, while another works through the wheel well to get the socket on the bolt head, and get it started on the rack's threads. After a couple of turns, pull on the rubber band until it breaks and comes off. I used a length of coat-hanger wire with a hooked end. Purge air as usual with the front wheels off the ground, turing lock-to-lock many times. After a few days recheck the banjo bolt tightness.
I did clean the hose first, and then I found same problem a few weeks later. Actually the picture was taken after degreasing.

and thanks for the tip! It will help me a lot. I have a question though. Can you please explain a little more detail about the bleeding process? Did you turn wheels lock to lock while the engine is running?

Quick Reply: PS pressure hose