A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Put down my deposit today, questions about 1.8 5-speed supply, and soliciting color opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-1999, 05:37 PM
Kevin H

Default Put down my deposit today, questions about 1.8 5-speed supply, and soliciting color opinions

After being a lurker on this site for more than 2 weeks, I finally decided on an Audi A4 1.8 Quattro and put down my deposit today. Started out looking at the new Passat, but found out about the no stick option on synchro GLX. My audi will be a 5-speed, with moonroof, bose upgrade, sports package, sports seats, and I'm having the dealer install the Audi roof rack, with 2 votex bike carriers (Thule?). $29000 for the entire deal, the sales guy wouldn't budge from 7% over invoice. I must say that I used this site as a bargaining tool, and told him I found buyers on this site that had gotten 5% and one individual who had listed a straight $1200 over invoice for being a AAA member. He told me that he would have given that deal to me, which ever was lower, on any other car on the lot. But because I had to have my car ordered, I was taking up one of his two allotments allowed to the dealership. Apparently the 5-speed stick is in very short supply right now with Audi using the manual transmission base for their ramp up on the Audi TT. He said the 1.8T's with a stick are too hard to come by until after the TT is released. So I was only able to negotiate with the roof rack and bike carriers, and got the deal on the roof rack for $300. Now comes the part which is causing me much deliberation, and that is: what color!! I have a week to change my mind and I'm between two choices: Volcanic Black w/ Opal Grey interior or Silver w/ Onyx interior. My first choice was black but my coworkers and friends are causing me to second guess myself since many of them say go for the silver. For some reason, I thought that black roof racks on a silver car just wouldn't be right. Anyone else out there with that combo? Looking for opinions on that and if I should pursue any other aftermarket modifications like the chip tuning. My car will be delivered in May. Anyone want to buy a 1991 Eagle Talon AWD TSi?<p>Regards -<p>Kevin<br>your brand new audi enthusiast
Old 01-28-1999, 06:42 PM
ChrisW.

Default hehe... you sound like me, I've been lurking as well, at least you got the deposit down! more...

I don't know how good a suggestion this is, but I'd call dealers in your state and ask what 99.5's they already have coming in. I ran into to the same issue w/my dealer, so I began calling the other 4 dealers in the state to find out what they've already on order for 2 reasons. One, like you said already on the %, and two, I won't have to wait as long since it's already on the way. Although, fortunately my dealer isnt' stickin' me with a 7% hike like yours, that sux. Mine's still talkin 5% over. I've one more dealer to call, but I've already found a backup, (santorin blue) with everything I wanted. Now, just gotta find that new silver!
Old 01-28-1999, 06:45 PM
ChrisW.

Hey! Why's this posting twice? (twice, thats a funny word)
Old 01-28-1999, 07:37 PM
John M

Default Back up, $29,000 with or without taxes? Refreshed A4 or not?

I picked up a '99 A4 1.8T QMS 5 speed with all options but trip and sport seats for $27,700. If you're getting a refresshed version you may be paying more due to the 1% price hike and, like you said, b/c it's not on the lot. That said, I think you're paying at least $1k too much. If you haven't sealed the deal, shop around more If you're lucky you can find a 5 speed on a lot somewhere.<p>Good luck!
Old 01-28-1999, 09:54 PM
Kevin H

Default Thats $29,000 without taxes, and it's a 1999.5

They're making 1800 on the deal. 1K less would be 800, which sounds like their profit on you. I am getting the roof rack and bike carriers, but no trip and all-weather package. The bike carrier package retails for 1K, but that would bring your car price up to 28,900 which is still less than my car. If I got all the options along with the rack, my price would've been 29,800, so you got yourself a deal that beats mine by 900. But what interests me more is the reason they wouldn't back down on the 7% and wouldn't give me the 5% or $1200 deal unless it was on the lot. There aren't too many 1999.5's out yet and I guess I'm the first kid on the block to want one. My dealer told me they weren't going to be many A4 1.8 vehicles in the 5-speed stick because they're using that platform for the TT. Anyone else find this to be true? I'm not really that upset with the money they're making, but would be if I see a whole slew of 1999.5's in the lot in May when I pick up my car.
Old 01-29-1999, 05:13 AM
HJohn

Default Color Opinion

Here is how I compare the Volcano/Opal & Silver/Onyx.<p>Uniqueness: Volcano/Opal<br>More interesting/spacious feeling interior: Volcano/Opal<br>Ease of Exterior Maintenance: Silver/Onyx<br>Audiest color (racing heritage & all that): Silver/Onyx<p>I chose the silver/onyx for the reasons stated. Plus I didn't find this area (D.C.) was crawling with silvers (lots of Santorin, Cactus, Pearl). All that being said, the Volcano/Opal is a beautiful car. If I thought I could have maintained it in the manner it deserves, it would have been a toss-up. BTW, IMO the black roof rack would be fine with silver.<p>Hope this helps.<p>John<br>1.8tqms (next month)
Old 01-29-1999, 07:27 AM
vik

Default Congratulations; you have a very similar car to mine...

Mine is a 99.5 volcano/opal 1.8tqms, same as yours except replace the bose ($1200) with the all-weather package ($630), and no roof racks. I paid $27K including destination, and I ordered mine. It works out to 4.5% over the new invoice (since 1/5). <p>But it seems pretty obvious to me that the best deal you can get is highly dependent on what area of the country you're in. You didn't mention where you're from or whether you shopped different dealers, but 7% is by no means a BAD deal. I'd say be satisfied and hunker down for the LOOOONG wait ;-). After all, it works out to about $650 difference -- not that big a deal on a $29K car.<p>I chose volcano/opal because a) I like black cars, 2) I felt there were too many silvers around, and c) I thought the onyx closed up the interior a little too much, whereas the opal makes it seem a little airier and more spacious. I had a hell of a time making that decision, though, since the opal is a little too light of a shade for my taste, but overall I just felt too claustrophobic in onyx.<p>As for chipping the car, it depends on how you drive. Plenty of people will never chip, because the stock power output suits them. I personally need a little more get-up-and-go, so I plan on Garrett-chipping my car at 1000.1 miles. There's about 15Gb worth of discussion on what chip is the best -- just block out a four-hour time period and go search the archives ;-).<p>Anyway, here's hoping you don't go crazy waiting, and congratulations again!<p><br>-vik<br>1.8tqms (not yet born)
Old 01-30-1999, 06:41 AM
trying to confuse

Default black roof racks look better w/volcano, silver wheels look better w/ silver :->

ug