A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Q to Non-Q ...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q to Non-Q ...?

I know some of you(well most of you) will literally quiver at the sound of this but is it possible to put a Q-model only motor (as in S4) into a FWD A4?

I always thought that If someone were planning on doing the S4 retrofit that it would have to include the transmission as well but why?

Feedback..?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm guessing cuz I can't compare the two side by side, but the crank of the S4

engine may only support the dual mass thick clutch setup of the S4, so, if the S4 tranny spacer works on an A4 front track tranny, then it could work.

Other than that, is there any reason to do this? Because if you start researching part numbers, you may find that things are so interchangeable that you may not need the whole engine Just grab a used S4 engine and start unbolting away stuff and making a few custom pieces.

Then of course, there's the engine management oh wait, there's ways around
Old 09-16-2002, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I guess the only ...

... way to find out would be to try and bolt up the tranny spacer then. I came across a really good deal on the whole package of an S4 w/ 24k on it, totaled from the back. Almost to good to pass up but I would like to do a complete swap. What would you do in this case.., I would love to hear it!

BTW, I really never got to praise you on the work you did to the car. Stuff like that means alot to me and the rest of the 12v community as you already know. I guess it only takes someone of your skill and capability to bring something like that into the circut. Nice job.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hehe, my unselfish goal is to try to generate power with this 12V I can share

with the AW 12V community in which they can do the same with some help for custom pieces

My selfish goal is to pass them other Audi owners at the track hehe. Ok, just kidding. But My current goal is to return to Laguna Seca with my 12V running 1:55's or less. My first time at Laguna, I have done a 2:04 with traffic (chasing a type R), although an instructor driving my car was able to eek out a 1:59 last year. If I gain another 15mph on the front straight, I will be there - that's how much faster I get the 3400+lb chipped TT to be before Andretti hair pin 2.

If I had an S4 engine next to me, I'll probably take off the tranny and the engine of the 12V, then try to mate it with the S4 engine - assuming I don't have the S4 tranny. Chances are, I will bolt in a 6 speed in there and get all the other drive train pieces to make it work (i.e. front drive shafts, propeller shaft etc).

If the S4 and A4 engine and tranny don't mate, I'll just take off the heads and oil pan and bolt on the S4 goodies. To make more power later, I'll get rid of the S4 heads, but use their cams. It won't be an easy task, because even if thins bolt up together, custom work is needed to get everything in there. Then I have to deal with exhaust plumbing, then intake - which is easier thanks to radiator hoses for American vans of different sizes and shapes, plus several trips to Home Depot.

Lastly, I'll just run a custom ECU setup since the thing won't be smog legal anyway. One can ask about why not use the S4 ECU, but I really don't like splicing over 200 wires and half of the wires are probably missing from an A4 engine that doesn't have a lot of sensors of the S4. The rest of the signals (like variable CAM), i'll have to just add a few more custom electronics to make it work with a custom ECU.

Then again, that's just me being a paper or computer mechanic right now.