A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is quattro over-rated/overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-1999, 04:55 PM
DaveL

Default Here's another quattro tale... link

<ul><li><a href="http://donp.tzo.com/qtale.htm">Q-Tale 2</a></li></ul>
Old 09-29-1999, 04:55 PM
MarkC

80% of Canadian Audis have quattro
Old 09-29-1999, 07:44 PM
Tom

Not only Quattro worths every pennies, its also the best AWD system ever available on the planet
Old 09-29-1999, 07:55 PM
Frank

Default yes, you're way off base. You can't compensate for 4 driven wheels.

Fair price, very fair price. Don't buy it if you don't want it, but to think the price is unfair is kind of ridiculous. All wheel drive is no rip off for cars.
Old 09-29-1999, 08:08 PM
evangalista

Default Chill out, Frank.

You're obviously are in favour of quattro, but
why is it so ridiculous to question the pricing of Quatrro? It's an option just like sports suspension or tiptronic transmission.
Sheesh.
Old 09-29-1999, 08:32 PM
Frank

Default Re: Chill out, Frank.

No, it's not ridculous to question is it worth the money.
Old 09-29-1999, 09:37 PM
Frank

Default But again it is neither over -rated or over-priced for what it is.

I know you can be safe in a FWD car period. Your two feet of snow comment was hyperbole I take it. Still, you shouldn't understimate 4WD for traction because there is nothing like it.
Sorry about feeling strongly and not expressing oneself dimplomatically, the chiropractor cracked my neck today again and I do need to "chill out." Sorry.
Old 09-29-1999, 11:03 PM
Roger

Hey, Frank...you're right about Quattro but 2 feet of snow in Canada isn't hyperbole.
Old 09-30-1999, 04:51 AM
Anthony

Default I might as well represent the "other" side...

I dunno about over priced, but I would say it's way over rated. Just reading the FAQ about FWD vs. Quattro, was enough to make me get a FWD A4. The best advantage is acceleration on wet surfaces. The way I figure it, I probably shouldn't be "punching it" in wet conditions anyway, because as the FAQ clearly states, the quattro won't help you stop any faster.... The only <b>practical</b> advantage I see is climbing slick gradients. Since I don't live in a particularly hilly region and I don't ski, I saved myself the cash. The FWD is a little bit lighter as well and does better on gas milage.<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/faq/faqs/faq64.shtml">http://www.a4.org/faq/faqs/faq64.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-30-1999, 06:24 AM
slack

Default Re: Is quattro over-rated/overpriced?

At $1750 US. I'd say it's a great value. But I didn't opt for it for these reasons.

1) not much snow in North Carolina (excepting the mountains of course.)
2) I don't race/track the car. (although since owning one I've changed my mind on that one)
3) getting a flatbed to tow the car, god forbid it should ever strand you, would be a hassle IMHO.
4) allignements are apparently more difficult on the quattro.

FWIW
slack 99.5 2.8M

Quick Reply: Is quattro over-rated/overpriced?