A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

quattro in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-1999, 10:53 AM
jmr

Default quattro in snow

Even with Quattro, I still notice a fair amount of slipping & sliding (e.g., fishtailing a bit when making a turn from a stop) when driving in snow. How much performance benefit does Q really provide in the snow.<br>(Tires=Conti OEM)
Old 01-12-1999, 11:06 AM
Jason G

Default My $.02...

Since I live in Socal, I really can't say much about the snow performance of your car, but I CAN say that the tires you're running on are incredibly horrible...<br>Contis are about the worst tire out there...you're better off running on something else...<br>just my gripe, thanks...<br>have a nice day )<p>Jason G<br>98.5 A!AvantGarde 2.8 30V
Old 01-12-1999, 11:06 AM
Kevin B.

Default Re: quattro in snow

After driving all types of vehicles in snow, I can say that the quattro system is one of the best out there. With any system some wheelspin will occur in snow, especially if snow tires aren't used. Even without snows, you will be a lot safer than most out there on the road. Even with AWD, cornering and braking aren't really improved in the snow. Although Audi Quattros aren't the best snow machines out there, they are still pretty damn good! Check out a RWD Bimmer the next time you drive in the snow!<br>
Old 01-12-1999, 11:13 AM
Roy M

Default Quattro + 4 snow tires = Goes and Stops where you want it to!

I have installed 4 Blizzak's 195/65 R 15 on my 98.5 q, Tip. This is the most stable car I have ever driven in the snow. I find it hard to imagine having more traction. During a recent trip the passing lane was totally covered with snow. The impression was like driving on bare dry roads. I tried several test stops when no other traffic was around. The ABS with the Blizzak's provided sure, straight, short stops. I'm very impressed. Acceleration in the snow and slush is nothing less that amazing! I have a very steep driveway. I stopped on the steepest part and when I started up no spin, no problem the quattro just goes with no complaints.<br>Roy M (Very impressed with the quattro)
Old 01-12-1999, 11:15 AM
Frosty

Default Re: quattro in snow

What'd ya expect? It *is* snow! Even the 4x4 snow plows with huge snow tires slip and slide out there...<p>Mike
Old 01-12-1999, 11:26 AM
JIM H.

Well said:55-series OEM tires+snow=some movement.nt
Old 01-12-1999, 11:29 AM
JIM H.

Kevin-you're righter than you think:there is NO vehicle on the road as good as a Q w/M&amp;S tires.nt
Old 01-12-1999, 11:55 AM
GordonI

Default Suspect the tires ...

The day it first started snowing in Toronto, my car slid into the back of stationary Sport Ute at an intersection and damaged the front grill and bent the hood ($2000 of damage !!! YIKES) The tires were the original Dunlop SP8000s as part of the Sports Package.. these tires may be ok in the summer but really SUCK in snow and slush...<p>Anyway...enough was enough.... I went out the next day and purchased Bridgestone Blizzak.... WHAT A DIFFERENCE !! I know its not just the tires too, because I had Blizzaks on my previous Honda Civic..... I love Quattro !!<p>
Old 01-12-1999, 12:25 PM
randall

Default quattro is good, but in snow, power will ALWAYS win out over traction

yup quattro is awesome.<br>One of the posts here states he is using blizzaks, and in combo with ABS it is great. This implies that the WHEELS ARE SLIPPING!<p>methinks quattro is 50/50 split to start. so if you are making a turn from rest and punch it, the back end will come out a bit, as the proportioning varies.<p>Even with the stickiest tires in the world, if u punch it in a turn, you will start to slip. With vehicles that have more grip biased to the front, the car will tend to plow ahead. Since the rear wheels aren't driven, they will not tend to snap out from you.<p>Personally i love the character of the AWD split, i love doing power slides, etc. However, with the V6, I can't imagine a snow tire that will provide enough grip that i can't spin the tires.<p><br>1996 a4 2.8 qm<p>moral: no jack rabbit starts!
Old 01-12-1999, 01:01 PM
G. Hale

I had better traction with my Subaru SVX with M&amp;S tires than the A4 with M&amp;S.

Quick Reply: quattro in snow