A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Quattro vs 325xi

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro vs 325xi

I'll be buying an AWD wagon within the next 6 months. Living in the hills of New England with a 30 degree driveway I've had a tough time getting to my house on occasion. For winter driving I use 4 Gislaved NordFrost snow tires on my SAAB 900 and would be using a good set of snows on my next car as well.

I want to know whether anyone can give me some first hand experience with either the quattro or 325xi performance on snowy roads/inclines. Specifically, what can I expect either system to be able to handle in terms of maximum snow depth and inclines?

I am a little concerned about the fully electronic differential braking method used by BMW in the xi versus the mechanical quattro/EDB combination. Does anyone have any direct experience on performance/reliability of the xi system vs quattro in either dry or slippery conditions? What should I expect for brake replacement frequency and cost on either systems?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:42 AM
Elder Member

Default No 1st hand experience, but the BMW AWD system being new,

I'd stick with Quattro. From what I understand the BMW AWD System is a bit like the Porsche system in that it is designed to deliver just enough power to the front wheels to pull it around corners...not designed for Traction.

Quattro, is tough, 25% at each wheel, and its been around for years.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my thoughts

These type of systems aren't overly complex and uses existing technologies. For instance, both systems use the Ferguson layout for AWD which consists of 3 differentials as opposed to a normal car's 1. You probably know things like diffs can have leaks but it generally doesn't happen. Thats the kind of thing to expect. The rest, driveshafts, ABS sensors are pretty commonplace these days as well.

As for the BMW vs. Quattro and reliability, the A4 has nearly the same electronic system when you order it with the ESP option (BMW calls its DSC). It consists of a yaw sensor, steering wheel sensor, computer, and the ABS system. I would guess that these systems are as reliable as any other electronic part of the car like the ECU.

Performance in the snow? I'd say nearly the same with Quattro having a slight edge. The main difference between the xi and quattro is a mechanical center Torque sensing differential that can vary torque between the front and rear axels. The BMW system uses only the brakes to stop wheel spin.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:53 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not exactly new. BMW used to make a 325ix in the late 80's, with very high acclaim......

but they didn't sell well, so they discontinued it. So it's not as if this is a first round AWD system for BMW.

Not to mention the X5.

True, Audi has been doing it a lot more for a lot longer. But you know that BMW has torn apart many Audis to see how they're done. Nonetheless, I would have to agree with you. My hunch would be to trust Audi's system more.
Old 10-04-2001, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

More like 40/60 front rear