A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

is quattro worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 07:33 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!
Old 12-05-2001, 07:36 AM
Elder Member

Default You are right, but please, read the following:

Your analogy tells me that you only bought your Audi for AWD, and that you think it looks no better than a ricer or any other car on the road.

I have a FWD, and I regret getting it...but I had to get a car, I did not have time to shop around, and I had never test driven a quattro. Next year I will be "upgrading" to a newer A4, BMW 330xi, or S4....so I'll be living in the wonderful world of quattro.

your point is good, your argument is not. If you're going to get the Audi, get Quattro...BUT

Lots of people here bought Audis b/c they like the styling and look, or in my case, got a better deal than any other FWD car in the similar market of equal and even lesser quality.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:36 AM

Audi without Quattro is like CHICKEN WITHOUT WAFFLES!!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worth every penny. In fact....

In terms of "value", there's no argument at all. I did some research on this a couple years ago when I got my A4, and based on figures from Kelley's and Edmunds I found that as a component of the car's value quattro depreciates by only about $25-$30 a year. In other words, if you pay $1,500 for it and keep the car for 4 years, when you sell it the quattro will add as much as $1,400 of resale value compared to an otherwise identical A4 without quattro. 25 bucks a year for what quattro has to offer? Hell, I think most people on this forum would pay for it even if they didn't stand to recover any of the price upon resale. The fact that you get most of it back just makes it that much more attractive. Bear in mind too that most people who buy an Audi want it with quattro. So if you're buying, keep in mind resale; it'll be easier to sell it if equipped with quattro. If you ask me, the relevant question isn't why you should get quattro, but rather why you shouldn't!
Old 12-05-2001, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey, I resent that...

First off, our generation A4's are near-luxury, not true luxury, sports sedans, imo. And, contrary to popular belief, not everyone even knows about quattro except for people who follow German cars, enthusiasts and people in the market shopping for cars etc...

I think quattro is pretty awesome, but I still recommend people looking to buy, to still do a test drive of both, it's the most prudent method. You lug another 225+ llbs when you have quattro and have to pay more. If you're leasing the car for a couple of yrs. and drive in stop n' go dry traffic, then I'm not so sure quattro is a gimme. For me, it wasn't a life or death situation to have quattro or not. Besides, some people like fwd, and I've seen some good drivers do very well through slaloms w/ fwd, but you'd have to be pretty good.

I've has RWD, AWD, and my A4 is my 1st fwd. If you chip the A4, I would recommend the quattro system more highly b/c the wheelspin gets a bit annoying - and when you chip, there is usually a higher probability that you will do add'l mods, so....
Old 12-05-2001, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

330xi All wheel drive is not the same as quattro as far as power distribution.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:49 AM

Default LOL

Heh, you know from personal experience I'm assuming?

Brett
Old 12-05-2001, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No.

AWD is good for max. acceleration on slippery surfaces and does nothing for braking and handling. In fact, it affects them.

There is no use for 95% of conditions and for the remaining 5%, common sense will do, unless you compete in a rally.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:54 AM
Rest In Peace

You've never driven a Quattro on a track.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default technicially, it affects handling, but more important traction, and in any performance driving,

traction is the most important thing... handling is squat without traction...

Quick Reply: is quattro worth it???