A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Question/Comment on A4 vs 3 quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1999, 09:31 PM
John K

Default Question/Comment on A4 vs 3 quality

So, in studying these 2 cars closely (in person), I'd definitley say that the A4 *seems* to be a slightly better built car (panel gaps, paint job, solidity) and has a better quality interior (better plastics, better materials (including roof-lining, deck panel, door latches) and more standard equipment. Now, BMW had the benefit of seeing the A4 when the were developing the 3, and it definitely shows in the fact that they upgraded the interior from the e36, so:
1. It seems like it would've been easy (and not that much more expensive) to surpass the A4 on interior and exterior quality (What the customer can see). BMW seems to have equalled Audi in some places and not in others, so:
2. Does BMW make more of a profit from the 3 than Audi makes from A4 (possible, since the A4 was the car meant to "save Audi", and BMW already enjoys a good rep. -or-
3. Does BMW spend money on the things we can't see:
Aluminum engine vs iron
timing chains rather than belts
DSC
4. I've heard that rear-wheel drive is more expensive to produce than FWD. Is this true? Even if this is true, I would think that AWD would be atleast as expensive to produce as RWD-- maybe not?
Is Audi able to offer better prices because they get better deals with suppliers (leverage Volkswagen), or, is the profit on both cars the same, but BMW truly spends the money in other places. I have a hard time believing that BMW spends more on engineering that Audi, since both cars exemplify excellent engineering (with different philosophies). Just looking for someone with more info than I to clarify this. It nags at me that the Audi seems like it will last longer (and provides more value) and that the BMW will give me more immediate gratification in terms of driving. If I plan to keep the car for a while, does it matter which one I choose, or would you say it's a tossup?
Old 12-20-1999, 06:19 AM
Frank B

Default Re: Question/Comment on A4 vs 3 quality

Both Consumer Reports and Car Point rate the Audi A4s reliability as above average. Also, it has a much lowere injury claim rate than the 3 series (figures based on the previous 3 series).

Frank B.