A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Question for A-pillar cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-1999, 03:58 PM
Nico

Default Question for A-pillar cover removal

I've read the FAQ but am still having trouble removing the A-pillar cover. Can anyone give me any tips? Tools used? Just a srewdriver and fingers? How do you unspap the snaps? Thanks.<p>Nico
Old 02-07-1999, 04:47 PM
Just pull it off!! NT

Re: Question for A-pillar cover removal
Old 02-07-1999, 07:19 PM
Dale B

Default It does just pull off, however...

It takes quite a bit of force. There are three "compression" clips in back of the trim piece, plus one "claw" type clip. The three clips are attached to the trim, and the "claw" is attached to the body almost down by the dash.<p>To remove, work your fingers behind the top edge and back by the windshield and then pull with increasing force until it snaps off (at least the top clips).<p>Re-installation is more tricky. I think that most people would get it wrong because of the claw clip. The plastic "edge" inside of the trim piece has to go inside of this claw, and it naturally WANTS to be outside. So you might have to reach down there and as gently as possible bend/move the plastic edge to where it goes into the claw. Then the other 3 clips just push into the slots in the body. I would recommend putting electrical tape or similar over the metal clips to help prevent any future rattles. Also note that you have to work the trim under the molding at the edge of the A-pillar. When you are done, the black painted edge of the window glass should form a parallel line to the trim. (At least, like it was before you started). If it bulges out at the bottom near where that claw clip was,(several inches up), that clip might not be attached right. When installing, watch the fit at the top. There will probably be an "indentation" in the headliner where it was to start with. If you get it too low, the gap (actually, lack thereof) between the headliner and trim might not look quite right.
Old 02-08-1999, 07:03 AM
MichaelA

Excellent explanation!