A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Question on Theft recovery,...............

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Theft recovery,...............

I am looking at an S4 that is a theft recovery, it is only 15,000 OBO. What should I offer or should I even offer anything? What exactly does theft recovery mean as far as what goes on the title and what could be wrong with it. It looks immaculate inside and out. TIA
Old 06-12-2004, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i doubt they let the turbos warm up before they went WOT

be ready to replace those.

just a bad idea
Old 06-12-2004, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any remaining factory warranty now void. Must be registered as theft or salvage for life.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default skip

Theft recoveries tend to be very abused cars (with frequent unmentioned body work and mechanical issues).

Cheers,
Old 06-12-2004, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could be a great opportunity. Or not. (long)

Have a great mechanic go over it with a fine toothed comb. He will be looking for any sign of body or frame damage as well as other mechanical problems. An independent shop will probably charge about $75 - $100 for this work, and in many cases the mechanic will walk you thru the findings, like in a home inspection.

If the car has had extensive body work or frame damage, skip it. Some repainting may be fine.

As for the assumption that the car may have been driven hard, that's probably true, but not necessarily harder than some of the people here drive their cars. And you were going to mod the shocks and springs anyway, right?

Do a Carfax search of the VIN. You may be able to identify the original dealer and obtain maintenance records. AoA will have some records regardless (like the coilpack recall fixes).

Now search used car prices (KBB, Edmunds, local paper, etc) and see what the vehicle is worth with a clear title. Subtract about 25% for the salvage/theft title and subtract for any repairs you need to make. That or less is what you should pay for the car.

Be careful what the selling dealer has done to fix up the car. Any aftermarket parts won't be covered by the warranty (which IS still good, despite what im_cecil said).

I bought my A4 at a great price as a theft recovery. Had to replace the belly pan and aftermarket wiper blades that chattered. Had to buy the manuals, some keys, and the cargo net. Had to pay for a new battery thanks to someone having replaced the original with a piece of crap. But all-in-all a great deal!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default almost every car i have bought has been a flood, theft, or hit.

depending on the state you live in, you will have a title brand. for example, my a4 was a light flood, so on the title it has an F brand, and says previously a flood vehicle. i have sold many of these type of cars and never had a problem. 10 years ago an R title made a difference in selling a car, now the prices on branded cars are not far off ones with a clean title. if you like the car and it is in good shape, go for it. just check it out good. big prob with thefts is that a lot of them get taken for a hell ride when they are stolen.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

also, if you ever move some states dont have title brands like that so it will be "clean"