A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Questions for those with the 2.8 PES SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for those with the 2.8 PES SC

What other mods did you do and in what order would you recommend them?

Did you install it yourself, if not then any recommendations in the Chicago area. Rob's website is very helpful and I am considering doing the install myself.

Most importantly, will my 2000 Tip be able to handle it? I know, I know, no auto comments please.

TIA
Old 08-08-2002, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i would like to see this install im in chicago as well...ordare might help you

but you'll have to ask nice ;p
Old 08-08-2002, 08:47 AM

Default I did my install by myself.

You will have to send your ECU to PES for the chip install. I recommend shipping the ECU Thursday evening so they get it Friday, install the SC over the weekend [took me about 10 hours], and hopefully PES will have the ECU back to you on Monday. Make sure they include the diagram for the vacuum hose routing. This is also a good time to replace your vacuum hoses, as the right side combination valve is much easier to access with the throttle body removed. Also a good time to install APR's snub mount.

I think that improved braking would be your next mod, and certain front brake kits require larger wheels. Brakes, wheels and tires simultaneously can be fairly expensive. Then suspension would be next on my list. After that, the list could include short shift kit, larger rear anti-sway bar, drive train stabilizer, front suspension tower brace, and engine snub mount to name but a few. If you're going to do your own maintenance, I recommend the Bentley CD ROM and Ross-Tech VAG COM.

A few tips for doing your own install. Read and understand the instructions completely. Take your time. Label every component, nut, and bolt with the instruction step number and nomenclature. If you encounter problems, talk to PES or someone who has done their own install. Rob Andrews and I are two who have. Here's a link to the G2 owners registry from Rob's website.<ul><li><a href="http://www.robsaudiworld.com/cgi-bin/guestbook.cgi?start=0">Robs' G2 Owners Registry</a></li></ul>
Old 08-08-2002, 08:49 AM

Default I'd get Rich at Dubwerks in Libertyville or Rob at MotoPersona in Lombard to do the install...

I would definately upgrade the suspension before the PES kit and if you plan to track the car Big Brakes and an oil cooler will be key. A snub mount install at the same time as the PES kit should be done as well since the front end is coming off anyway and for the $$$ it can't be beat to smooth out the driveline, though on a tip I'm not sure how that works. You can use the OEM clutch withou too much trouble as long as you're gentle on it...I was not and upgraded mine.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had a Tip chip installed at the same time as the S/C

Also, I haven't seen any problems with the Tip keeping up with the added power...although I'm at 6500ft. altitude, so my engine isn't actually producing 295hp.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I've got any idea...

fly me and my girlfriend up to Chicago on your dime and I'll do the install for free! No joke!
I've been thinking of visiting and she's never been.
The offer is on the table.....
Old 08-08-2002, 09:05 AM

Default Hey...

bring your website with I'd love to check it out.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'll make sure to bring something with me for you to check out...

and it won't be a website
Old 08-08-2002, 10:15 AM

Default Now I'm scared...

is it bigger than a baby's arm?
Old 08-08-2002, 10:36 AM

Default My list would be...

(And not in the order I actually did them, but based on what I know now)

1) Driving School
2) Brake kit (esp if you track it at all)
3) Suspension stuff (because by this point you ought to have auto-x and tracked it enough that you know what you are trying to accomplish instead of going with a bunch of board-spam advice)
4) Tip chip. Cool, but not as much change-to-the car as spending that same dollars on sway bars or extra lap time (to improve the main computer...)

As for the tip handling it. My 99 does fine. You should know, however, that some people with the DBW year cars and tip are not yet happy with theirs. Not a question of tip failure, rather one of kit performance overall, I think. Do search.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with the 2.8 PES SC