A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

quick... I need brake pad advice... (preferably EBC Green users)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick... I need brake pad advice... (preferably EBC Green users)

Well, I noticed a sort of grinding sound coming from the front when I brake hard, so I'm pretty sure it's time for me to get new pads up front... and I need to do it quickly so as I don't damage my rotors too much... (for all I know, it could be too late already!)

I could just go to the Audi dealer and have them put stock pads on, but I'd really like to put something on that will reduce brake dust.

I've heard so many people talk about EBC green stuff pads... so my questions are..

1. Are there any problems with having different pads on the front than in the back? I'll only replace the fronts now, and the rears when they are worn.

2. Any problems with squeaking? I've heard the non-metallic pads squeak more.

3. Do they REALLY make less dust?

4. Are there any other brands I should consider while I'm on the subject?

Thanks... your help is really appreciated!

Old 10-11-2000, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice from an EBC user

You can replace the front pads only with EBC Green. EBC does not recommend rear only replacements though.

You should ensure the rotors are resurfaced before installing any new pad, including EBC Green. This will ensure proper seating and wear and should help avoid problems like chattering or squealing that sometimes accompanies poor seating.

I have had no squeaking from my pads in the 5000 miles they have been in place, but the rotors were surfaced at replacement and I find myself doing enough agressive stopping (thanks to the demands of my commute) that I am probably avoiding the glazing that can occur with nothing but light braking.

My wheels show little or no brake dust so far as I can tell, only road dirt.

I dont have experience with others but hear a lot about Mintex Redbox
Old 10-11-2000, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: quick... I need brake pad advice... (preferably EBC Green users)

>1. Are there any problems with having different
>pads on the front than in the back? I'll only
>replace the fronts now, and the rears when they
>are worn.

I don't see any problems with just replacing the front. I didn't have time to replace both, so I drove with EBCs just in the fron for a couple of weeks. Didn't notice anything abnormal.

>2. Any problems with squeaking? I've heard the
> non-metallic pads squeak more.

I think it's more of a problem with the install. I was going to do a write-up on anti-sqeak precaustions and general install with pictures. Email me if you don't see it by the time you do the install. Off the top of my head... Be sure to clean the inside surface of the calipers and apply the anti-sqeak gel to the outer pad.

>3. Do they REALLY make less dust?
Absolutely! I can go a week without noticing *any* dust. I mean wheels look as clean as the day I washed them. Two weeks I can see some, but only if I rub my finger on the inside wheel surface. They clean a *lot* easier too.

>4. Are there any other brands I should consider
> while I'm on the subject?

Mintex Reds. I think they make a little more dust, but are cheaper.

EBC Reds. I heard conflicting recomendations, Some say to use these for street use on A4. Some say they are mainly for track use.