A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

quick Q about rev down and LWFW's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick Q about rev down and LWFW's

when i had to get a new clutch, i was gonna spend the money for a stage 1 or 2 clutch with a LWFW. a family friend/audi enthusiast told me this wouldnt help with rev down and that the computer helped keep the revs higher to keep momentum in the FW.

When driving fast with manual, id like the revs to come down quicker because it always scares me when i drop the clutch with AWD. Anybody else see this problem/ know a cure?
TIA
Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your friend is incorrect. The revs fall much faster with a LWFW.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:37 AM

Default there is less mass rotating

it is easier for a lighter object to accelerate or decelerate than a heavier object.

A LWFW will affect spin down some but it will affect to a greater degree the deceleration of the engine as you engauge the clutch in an upshift. This reduces the time it takes to complete a shift since the engine matches up with the trans speed more quickly. You are out of slipping the clutch sooner and into accelerating the car.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so when i change my clutch, get a LWFW too and ill be good? no comp. control to worry about?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:42 AM

Default yes they do and they do so most notably when upshifting and engauging the clutch

or when rev matching the response time is reduced and the shifts can be completed more quickly.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:44 AM

Default no... on some old audis like the V8Q the computer did on certain engine codes

take some measures to keep things spinning. So there is some truth to what he is saying about the computer... but I think the example I'm talking about has to do with teh V8Q engine being converted to a manual gearbox... and the can bus signals not being present from a gearbox to trigger certain programming in the ECM.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I know Boss...I have a LWFW in my A4!! Sooooo much nicer!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

sounds good. thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I hate mine. Revs die down quickly making it worse for rev matching on the track...

who cares about upshifts on the track? You just put it in gear, but downshifts can unsettle a car setting up for a corner without good rev matching. LW flyweels make this more difficult. In about 50% of the cases they also cause terrible clutch chatter and the ever annoying sqeal of death in 1st gear that scares people in parking lots. I experience all of these things. Todd at AWE can give you even more information on this as he has sold a lot of them and reported problems with about half. Same goes for southbend. I'd recommend sticking with the OEM flywheel. FWIW, i did acceleration testing with the new flywheel and found no difference. cheers! Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is your clutch disk sprung or unsprung?

I get the annoying screatching when engaging my clutch and if I let the clutch out too slowly on upshifts as well. I always though it was from having a single mass flywheel and unsprung clutch disk.

Quick Reply: quick Q about rev down and LWFW's