A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Radio Harness Wiring Diagram / Connector Pinouts (Panasonic stereo, non-Bose 98.5) (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-1999, 10:07 AM
Erik

Default Radio Harness Wiring Diagram / Connector Pinouts (Panasonic stereo, non-Bose 98.5) (long)

The following info describes what I found in my 98.5 A4 1.8T, with Concert/non-Bose (and Panasonic head unit) radio. Your findings/results may differ from mine (a.k.a., "anything you do is not my fault/use this information at your own risk!").

After an exhaustive search of the archives, I couldn't find details regarding the actual pinouts on the back of the Panasonic radio in my car. So, I pulled out the radio and wrote down what I saw. Note that I do not describe the colors of the wires connected to the pins; that exercise is left to the reader. Also note that not every pin had a wire connected to it. Some detail on this is provided in "Commentary," below.

Here's what I found (this is a replica of the sticker found on the top of my deck; note that the orientation of the connectors in the diagram assumes you are looking over the top of the radio to the back of it; so if you were to actually remove the radio completely and look directly at its back, everything in the diagram below would be upside-down and rotated 180 degrees - refer to "Passenger side of car" notation to confirm your orientation):

F 8-pin Black Connector 10-pin (Passenger side
U of car)
S 8-pin Brown Connector Red
E
3-segment "slide together" Connector
Connector: 8-pin Blue,
6-pin Green, and 6-pin Yellow

The Fuse was 5A.

For each of the colored connectors described above, I found the following pinouts (note that "??" indicates a pin position exists in this location, but it had no label on the diagram). All pinout descriptions assume the orientation provided in the above diagram. Each pin is described within brackets "[ ]".

8-pin Black connector:

[ - ] [ "sun symbol"-I ] [ S ] [ MUTE ]

[ + ] [ "antenna symbol"] [ K ] [ GA ]

8-pin Brown connector:

[ ?? ] [ LF - ] [ RF - ] [ ?? ]

[ ?? ] [ LF + ] [ RF + ] [ ?? ]

8-pin Blue connector (note: this connector was entitled "CD" on the diagram on the radio):

[ AF-R ] [ ACC ] [ DO ]

[ S-GND ] [ CLK ]

[ AF-L ] [ U*+ ] [ DI ]

* The symbol was "U sub D" (can't do subscripts here, sorry)

6-pin Green connector (note: this connector was entitled "Option" on the diagram on the radio):

[ REMO ] [ CLK ]

[ ?? ] [ DATA ]

[ ENA ] [ ?? ]

6-pin Yellow connector (note: this connector was entitled "Line Out" on the diagram on the radio):

[ RF ] [ RR ]

[ "Switch symbol" with "+" sign ] [ COM ]

[ LF ] [ LR ]

10-pin Red connector (note: this connector was entitled in segments as shown to the right):

[ 15 ] [ MUTE ] "TELEFON"

TEL LINE
[ + ] [ - ] Also part of "TELEFON"

NAV LINE
[ + ] [ - ] "NAVI"

[ MUTE ] [ NAV. CON. ] Also part of "NAVI"

[ GND CD ] [ "sun symbol"-II ]

Commentary:

I assume the "sun symbol" pins are signals used to control the brightness of the radio's lighting.

In my case, I was interested in the speaker connections (read as: I was tired of my Concert radio's performance, and was looking to do some upgrades). I found that the front speakers were wired/connected to the Brown connector (as indicated in the pinouts), and not to the "Line Out" Yellow connector (i.e., the "RF" and "LF" pins of the "Line Out" connector had no wires connected to them).

It appears that the Brown connector is used to supply amplified power outputs to the speakers (perhaps the "??" pins on the Brown connector are for providing amplified outputs for the rear speakers, but no wires were connected to these "??" pins, and I didn't try any experiments to see if a wire connected to them would drive a speaker).

It also appears that the "Line Out" (Yellow) connector is used to provide preamp-level outputs to the amplifier that's built-in to my left rear speaker… again, I didn't try any experiments to check voltage, etc, but this appears to be the case, considering that the "RR" and "LR" pins of the "Line Out" connector had wires connected to them, and that these same colored wires (along with the "COM" pin wires) were also found on the connector that plugs into the left rear speaker. The "Switch symbol with "+" sign" pin had a white wire connected to it - this wire was also found on the connector that plugs into the left rear speaker; presumably this is a "power on" trigger wire for the amplifier (i.e., when the radio is turned on, this wire gets powered, and that trigger is used to turn on the amplifier that's built in to my left rear speaker). Not sure exactly where the left rear speaker gets its amplifier power (i.e., the power used to perform the actual amplification) from, but since I'd be adding a fresh power wire for a new amplifier's installation, it isn't relevant (I'd just use the white wire as a trigger to turn on the new amp, and the fresh (and much thicker) main power wire would power the amp itself).

One final note: I went to the Audi dealer and found that they sold the individual pins for the "Line Out" (Yellow) connector (note that pins are not already installed on connector positions that have no wires connected to them), with each pin already neatly crimped to a piece of wire. The part number for a pair of these is 000-979-131. I think someone else also posted the part number for the entire Yellow connector, but it appears a complete connector replacement may not be necessary.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-01-1999, 10:12 AM
Erik

Default Re: Better diagram for connector positions

Let's see if this diagram comes out cleaner than the one in my original post...

Panasonic radio connectors (refer to my original mail for more details):

F.....8-pin Black Connector................10-pin.............(Passenger side
U................................................. .................................of car)
S.....8-pin Brown Connector................Red
E
.......3-segment "slide together"........Connector
.......Connector: 8-pin Blue,
.......6-pin Green, and 6-pin Yellow
Old 11-01-1999, 10:16 AM
Erik

Default Re: Related information (speaker removal)

Related information:<ul><li><a href="http://a4.org/forum/m/a4/184552.phtml">http://a4.org/forum/m/a4/184552.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-1999, 10:17 AM
Erik

Default Re: Related information (molding removal)

Related information:<ul><li><a href="http://a4.org/forum/m/a4/184560.phtml">http://a4.org/forum/m/a4/184560.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-1999, 10:19 AM
Dan

Default Preamp connector

Here is the link to Preamp connector.
$5 or $10 from crutchfield, I can't remember.
But it works!! at least for my delta headunit.

Dan<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/forum/m/a4/174144.phtml">http://www.a4.org/forum/m/a4/174144.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 11-01-1999, 10:24 AM
Erik

Default Re: Preamp connector - anyone know of one for Panasonic?

Dan,

Great info!! But it appears to only be for Blaupunkt, right? I'd love to find one of these for my Panasonic head unit... anyone else have any ideas?

Erik
Old 11-01-1999, 10:31 AM
stevebrown

One point: MBQuart makes adapters to fit 5.25" speaks in front door locations...
Old 11-01-1999, 10:43 AM
Dan

From the description that you provided, it sounds like it should work with the concert head unit. Just look at the picture and compare it with the actual connector in your headunit (that's what I did). Plus, it's only $5.00. Worth a try.

Dan
Old 11-01-1999, 02:36 PM
Erik

Sounds good... yeah, the connector in the picture looks like what I saw on the back of my Panasonic deck (it's even the same color!). I ordered one of these preamp connector harnesses from Crutchfield (BTW, the Crutchfield part # for the harness is 0232NDPRE, and it is indeed meant for the Blaupunkt Nevada deck - be careful, because older Blaupunkt decks use a different part, and based on what I saw on the Blaupunkt page (for Blaupunkt page, refer to the other post for URL, above) the older harness definitely looks like it won't work with the Panasonic!)...

I'll post my findings later...
Old 11-04-1999, 12:52 PM
Erik

Default Re: Preamp connector - appears to work w/Panasonic radio (98.5)

Looks like it's going to work with the 1998.5 Panasonic head unit... I just got the Blaupunkt 4-channel harness from Crutchfield today (the harness is actually meant for the Blaupunkt Nevada radio; cost: $5), and it's plug (and apparently pinout) compatible with the Yellow connector that's already there in the back of the radio (in my stock, non-Bose configuration). The Blaupunkt harness even has the remote turn-on lead pre-wired in the connector! This will be a nice, clean way to upgrade from Concert/non-Bose to an external amp, since the harness has RCA plugs on it already!

I also got some speaker mounting adapters for the rear deck from Crutchfield... we'll see if they work OK or not...