A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ran over Large Object on Interstate (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 06:50 AM
Chip

Default Ran over Large Object on Interstate (Long)

I was doing about 70 MPH on 271 around Cleveland Sunday night when the SUV in front of me swerved around a dead deer in the lane ahead of me. There was no place to go since I had cars on both sides of me and I went over the top. I ripped the bottom aerodynamic cover off and when I finally got to where I could stop it looked like that was all the damage. When I got in and put it in gear as soon as I started moving it made a rasping noise. Before I had stopped I had thought it was the pieces of the bottom aero piece rubbing.

I had it flat bedded to the dealership and now I am waiting to hear from the insurance estimator how much damage I did. I miss the A4 and now am driving a rental Grand Marquis. makes me appreciate the Audi that much more. Any idea on what could be damaged? How much to repair it? How long it will take? Thanks.

Chip
98 A4 1.8T Tip and APR
Old 10-13-1999, 06:56 AM
Roy S.

Default Sorry to hear.........

At least no one was inured, though take a moment to think who is responsible for this. I think it would be wise to sure mother nature, I know that this has not been done before but think about it as a landmark case. Also, sue Disney, they did a lot of cartoons with deer (Bambi) so I think they are partially neglegent. You know I would also go after and gun manufacturer and of course the NRA, since they failed to hunt this animal down before it made its way onto the roadway. And you might want to go after Audi, since they did not provide as standard equipement a sonar display of the road ahead. Hope all gets fixed OK, and please take this all in fun.
Old 10-13-1999, 06:58 AM
Roy S.

Sorry about the 'r' in "sue", bad typo...
Old 10-13-1999, 07:15 AM
A. Udi

Increasing the distance between you and car in front of you gives you more time/space to react
Old 10-13-1999, 08:54 AM
RJ

Just remember for every car length you leave in front of you, you will have a car cut infront of you
Old 10-13-1999, 12:04 PM
AC

Default So True! We're not in Kansas anymore... (more)

Around here if you follow at a safe distance during commute times you're gauranteed to have someone cut in front of you

Here's how it works - you're being the safe driver you were taught to be and leaving that 2 second gap between you and the car in front of you. Within seconds some a-hole (no doubt driving the largest SUV possible) pulls into the gap. So being the safe driver, you once again slow down to get a safe distance back, and yet another SUV pulls in front of you.

Eventually you end up driving the car in reverse as that's the only way to keep any distance between you and the never ending stream of SUVs that keep cutting in front of you. Meanwhile the SUV behind you is about 2 inches off your rear bumper flashing his lights at you because he's pissed off you're letting so many people get in front of him. After a couple days of driving backwards you finally come to the realization that it's not the quickest way to get home from work and start tailgating like everyone else.
Old 10-13-1999, 04:29 PM
A. Udi

Default Agreed, who said highway driving is fun in this country. (MOE)

But if everybody was tailgating there would be no room for ANYBODY to pass or change lanes for that matter. You'd have a solid mass of cars cruising along at 70mph bumper-to-bumper.

Yes, there are too many morons with a driver's license, but that's no reason to imitate them.