A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Random Technology HIgh Flow Cat initial review

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Technology HIgh Flow Cat initial review

I ordered a Random Technology high flow cat from Lightening Motorsports in GA. The cat was built and drop shipped to me, took about 7 business days. Buying through lightening motorsports was about $50 cheaper then buying through Random Technology themselves.

I had the cat installed yesterday. I paid $50 to have it installed. It took about 2 hours since these men worked kinda slow. It probably could have been done in 30 minutes with some hard work.

The cat looks good, solid welds. The inlet and outlet pipes are only just bigger then the stock cat. I would have prefered a larger diameter, maybe 2.5 or so.

Looking down into the cat, there are about half the "precious metals" (as per the Random Tech website) then the stock cat. You can almost see through the random tech cat.

The install is straight forward. Top two turbo bolts from the top, bottom bolt from the bottom. All 3 downpipe to cat bolts from the bottom. Dont forget new gaskets and you'll need new nuts for the cat/dp connection.

Initial impressions are good. The car pulls slighty more, but nothing substantial. I have not gotten a check engine light so far(about 200 miles. Everything I read and random tech assured me no CEL would occur.

There has been ZERO change in exhaust tone or volume.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it is already had flanges? Just bolt-on? How much?