A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rattle coming from instrument cluster... please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 01:13 PM
Randy B

Default Rattle coming from instrument cluster... please help!

I've checked the archives on this but nothing has really helped. I have a rattle coming from the the instrument cluster area right above where the steering wheel meets the dash. It seems to be the bottom of the clear plastic window that covers the guages buzzing against the dash. If I put some pressure on the clear plastic piece where it meets the dash at the bottom, it seems to go away. It also seems to go away when I slightly push or pull on the inverted U-shaped plastic piece above where the steering column meets the dash - or put pressure on any of the plastic pieces underneath the U-shaped piece after removing it (but I think that is because it indirectly puts pressure on the clear plastic window). Any ideas on a permanent fix? I'd rather not have the dealer rip my quage cluster apart because who knows what else will start rattling. Thanks in advance for any help... it's driving me nuts!

Randy
99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 01-25-2000, 01:27 PM
Bob

Default I can tell you what worked for me...

I lubed the attachment points of the U-shaped thingy with silicone grease. I did the same with the plastic tabs and screws of the cluster. Don't overtighten or the tabs will crack.

Regards and Best luck,
Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM
Old 01-25-2000, 06:21 PM
Ian S.

Default Re: Rattle coming from instrument cluster... please help!

Well, I just entrusted a similar buzz to my dealer (Scottsdale Audi). They apparently took the cluster out found something out of place and put it all back together. Voila! No more buzzing. They did say they couldn't reproduce it. Go figure.

Ian 98.5 qms