A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Re: oil question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-1999, 03:48 PM
new owner

Default Re: oil question

I have just picked up my 99.5 1.8TQMS and I want to change the oil to Mobil 1. But the dealer told me that I should wait till the first schedule service because the existing oil in the car is some kind of special 'break in' oil. Should I follow the advise?<p>Thanks
Old 04-13-1999, 04:51 PM
Mike D

Default Yes follow the advise. The factory uses a special blend. It allows a parts to seat properly. 5000 miles should be firdt change.

Old 04-13-1999, 06:07 PM
RTM

Default That's Funny....

BMW engines now come from the factory with synthetic! So, their rings will never properly seat? Or is Audi back in the dark ages somewhere?<p>Ask your dealer if they will sell you some of this magic break-in oil. They can't and won't because it doesn't exist. Go to an auto parts store and ask for some break-in oil. They don't have any either. So what do people do with rebuilt or new engines? They just use regular oil! That's all it takes to properly seat the rings. It doesn't take some high-friction oil to put extra wear on your engine.<p>I and many others on this forum have changed their factory fill oil and replaced it with synthetic or "dino" oil as early as at 1000 miles with no adverse results. Evidence -never any oil added between changes, no detectable usage. Now, it may not be of any benefit to do this, but it doesn't hurt either. (I guess I'm not really a believer that there are lots of metal shavings and casting parts floating around in the oil. The oil filter will take out anything that could hurt the engine).<p>There are other engines coming from the factory with synthetic - Corvette is one. Audi will get there someday. They are already starting to recommend lighter viscosity oils in some cases, just like the rest of the world, instead of the "old-school" 20W-50 types.<p>I think break-in oil USED to exist - maybe 30 years ago.
Old 04-13-1999, 07:09 PM
Vic O

Default Early change-out of factory fill

RTM, I read your note and said silently to myself "I share the same opinions and experiences with this guy" (sorry about that). However, as for chips in the oil, when I changed my wifes '97 BMW factory fill at 1,000 miles with Mobil 10w-30, I did find several large chips (remnants from the manufacturing process). These chips were way too large to stay suspended in the oil, so no worry here about being sucked up by the oil pump. Now with 19K miles on it, no oil consumption whatsovever (even new it did't burn oil).