A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

re: yesterday's discussion on radar detectors -- follow up Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-1999, 05:45 AM
PT

Default re: yesterday's discussion on radar detectors -- follow up Q

(sorry, had to post here because the server wouldn't let me post a reply to thread from yesterday) <p>How about those Uniden scanners that are pre-programmed for each state's police and HP radio? (I think they're called the BCT 7 and BCT12?) Does anybody use one of those things to avoid tickets? I was just wondering how useful they would be as compared to radar detectors.
Old 02-09-1999, 07:03 AM
ChrisW

Default Re: re: yesterday's discussion on radar detectors -- --my thoughts....

Hey PT! I personally don't have any knowledge of the scanners you mentioned. I presume they'll pick up transmissions from officers/dispatchers radio systems. I personally think these items would be more of a novelty to listen to, to find out what really goes on out there as opposed to reading the newspaper. If people could listen to one of our radios for a night, esp. a weekend night, it's enough to make you move out of the city and stay indoors. A scanner won't help you with finding where an off. is sitting. Most officers, traffic officers esp., do not broadcast where they set up. Majority will broadcast where they've stopped somebody though. As I said in prev. posts, this applies to where I work, & possibly elsewhere. In traffic enforcement, we don't even broadcast where we've made a stop unless we feel it's necessary. Ciao!
Old 02-09-1999, 07:14 AM
vik

Default Wanted to add my welcome and thanks, Officer Chris...

Not really relevant to this thread, but I didn't have a chance to add to the radar detector thread before it was archived, so here it is. Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate the information you add to this board. It's good to know that Johnny Law has a human side (and likes A4s and VFRs to boot :-).<p>Anyway, to ChrisW, please continue posting A4 and law enforcement related stuff, and to the San Antonio PD, don't worry, none of us take Chris' word as necessarily representative of the views of the city of San Antonio, its police department, police departments in general, cities in general, the human race in general, etc., etc., etc....
Old 02-09-1999, 07:17 AM
randall

Default tracking the officers . .

i have some dealings in related (wireless industry) and have a unsubstantiated rumor that maybe some one can answer.<p>I was told that each vehicle has a repeater, that is used to take a signal from the officer's portable radio, and amplify back to dispatch/ho. This repeater, apparently, is transmitting some sort of traceable signal continuously, even when there is no specific voice transmission taking place. <p>Is this true, and could u track this signal?<p><br>1996 a4 2.8 qm
Old 02-09-1999, 07:21 AM
David P

Default I don't think it would be that useful...

A cheap radar detector tells you whenever you pass a supermarket. It seems like this device tells you whenever an officer is within a certain distance. The only time it would be useful would be on a wide open road in the middle of nowhere. Everytime you pass a town chances are it would go off. There's no directionability (Is that a word?) built in to it. The happens enough and you'll start to ignore it. <p>David<br>1.8tqm (V1)
Old 02-09-1999, 08:10 AM
Jim Murphy

Default Re: tracking the officers . .

As fas as I know, this is true. I do remember seeing a product advertised a year or two back (Autoweek, I believe) to do just what you are thinking *BUT* it had something like a 3-mile circular range. Therefore, if you are near any civilization, chances are very high that the thing would be going off constantly.. Since I live in the Boston area, I'd be running a 100% certainty factor Now, if you live in the middle of nowhere... I myself don't see how anyone could justify 200 bucks on what I consider nothing but a novelty device.<p>As ChrisW pointed out in the last forum, it is far better to drive and *observe* all your surroundings than to gain a false sense of security via electronic devices.
Old 02-09-1999, 08:22 AM
Drew S.

Default novelty device

<i>I myself don't see how anyone could justify 200 bucks on what I consider nothing but a novelty device.</i><p>Kinda like smoked side or rear lens covers or clear front sidemakers? People spend money on all sorts of unnecessary things.<p>I bought a handheld GPS device which I'm sure is very useful for some people (hikers, boaters, etc) but for me it is purely a $300 toy.<p>If a $200 device tells me on a highway that a cop car is within three miles ahead, that would be a very useful device. The Valentine One is about $400 and it can't tell you about cops lying in wait with instant on radar.<br>
Old 02-09-1999, 10:04 AM
randall

Default an u find the article?? i live in the country

CANADA
Old 02-09-1999, 10:06 AM
RANDALL

ditto
Old 02-09-1999, 10:23 AM
ShawnC

Default Called a Bear Tracker - by Uniden - picks up repeater signals...

Is preprogrammed for all the emergency frequencies in every state. Pretty cool and would allow you to ascertain whether you had air patrols in the area as well (particularly useful cruising I10 in the middle of the California desert).<p>They were kind of bulky, but I think you can buy hand held portable versions as well which would be more reasonable for long trips, vacations (rental cars), etc.<p>SC

Quick Reply: re: yesterday's discussion on radar detectors -- follow up Q