A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

re: yesterday's discussion on radar detectors -- follow up Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-1999, 10:36 AM
Jim Murphy

Default Re: novelty device

Good point (as I have spent money on those things)<p>Problem I have with this device is that it only tells you that a repeater signal is being found in a 3-mile range to all sides. Therefore, you wouldn't quite know if the car is actually in front of you but rather somewhere in your vicinity. Still, for those in remote areas it could prove very useful. I still think it's a cool toy.<p>Speaking of GPS, all we need is for some way to locate cops via GPS and attach that data to a rolling map overlay with tracking dots ala the Kitt 2000
Old 02-09-1999, 11:06 AM
ChrisW

Default Thanks! I figured as much info --> ;) long, as usual

as I've gotten from this forum prior to ordering my A4, I thought maybe I could do something in return. I try to keep a perspective of my occupation. I haven't, nor intend to, distance myself so much from what it's like before I joined. I therefore can still 'see' both sides of the fence on issues related to law enforcement. Such as stereotypes (lord knows there's enough) about police, and an officers view point. San Antonio has taken a pro-active approach to showing it's citizens the inner workings of the PD, such as taking people (Citizen Police Academy) through our Academy, showing them investigative techniques, and allowing the graduates of the CPA (& cellular on patrol) to ride along w/an officer. The response of people is a %100 turn around, once they have a better idea what's going on. I'm glad to provide an info. to dispel any myths, conceptions, or answer questions related to traff. enforcement as long as like you said, **(DISCLAIMER) what I say is not speaking for the Dept., don't quote me if you go to court, don't blame me for anything, I speak only for myself concerning discretion used, traffic law cited only applies to Texas (maybe other states).** I don't want to get "black balled" like JimH! (maybe I should change my name?) None of it's top secret, & I would'nt share info. if it was. If any member on here come's to SA and needs help, e-mail me prior & I'll give you a pager #.
Old 02-09-1999, 11:35 AM
Kennon

Default Re: Called a Bear Tracker - by Uniden - picks up repeater signals...

Check this out for more info:<ul><li><a href="http://www.uniden.com/docs/product/prdetail.cfm?product=BCT12">Uniden Bearcat</a></li></ul>
Old 02-09-1999, 04:07 PM
DaveD

Default Won't work everywhere with all agencies

Not all agencies (state, county, city, etc) use the in-car repeaters. Also, they are not used in all areas. Best to check at local scanner/electronics shop to see what is in use in your area - don't assume it will do any good anywhere else. Also, some areas have laws against police scanners in cars. Ask about that too.<p><br>Dave<br>98.5 2.8 qms v1
Old 02-09-1999, 09:31 PM
fgoldy

Default I bought a uniden bct-12 on ebay for about $100 (long)

Sure the bct-12 is a novelty item and yes, around the city the bear locator goes off a lot. However, it has a couple of features which make it more useful. It gives you a rating 1-9 of how powerful or how close the cop is. It also allows you to not hear an alert if the level is less than 5 out of 9. sort of a city/highway switch. The scanning info is fun to listen to and the bear locator is helpful when I drive up to Steamboat and 95% of the drive is outside the city. I would like a valentine one as well, but am still living with a bel 745stip which gives a hell of a lot of false alarms. The unit is really tiny, about the size of a radar detector. A brand new bct-10 (older model w/o the 800 mhz band) is available via mail order at consumer direc warehouse for $90.The bct-12 costs $159 I think. My wife hassled me about my purchase, but she just doesn't get the gadget thing. By the way, I have a GPS too. The GPS is awesome for hiking, backcountry skiing, and even finding someone's house.