A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Really? No more red gauges in Y2K Audi models....Quoted from R&T A6 4.2Q first drive....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-1999, 03:49 PM
Tom

Default Really? No more red gauges in Y2K Audi models....Quoted from R&T A6 4.2Q first drive....

"The other change is that Audi (finally) is dropping its traditional method of illuminating gauges with red lighting. Welcome the new readable white lettering and a logical red pointer". I really love the unique red gauges on the current Audis. I don't want to start a red gauges vs white gauges war, but I think the changes is true to what the dealer says.<br>Tom<br>97 A4 1.8TQMS <-red gauges, red pointers<br>99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0 <-blue gauges, red pointers <p><p><br><ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A newly redesigned A4 club of Vancouver website</a></li></ul>
Old 05-10-1999, 05:06 PM
ChrisWB

Agreed, red is great. Leave the white illumination for the &quot;El Cheapo&quot; Neons &amp; Sentras.
Old 05-10-1999, 05:10 PM
KLHI

If you ask me, neon's are perfectly good cars. Maybe not Sentra's, they're pretty bad cars, but neon's - though not as good as an A4, are just as high on the value scale
Old 05-10-1999, 05:18 PM
BDW

Default Beg to differ. If the Neon is built anything like my '96 Dodge Caravan (and it's probably as bad or worse), it's a piece of *#$!

<br>(NT)
Old 05-10-1999, 05:35 PM
Jeff

Default It's no A4 but I think the Neon is OK, hey, Skip Barber does some incredible things in a Neon

(nt)
Old 05-10-1999, 05:48 PM
Greg W

Default Say it ain't so

I've really come to dig the all-red lighting on my A4- I wouldn't have it any way. I'm driving a Passat loaner today, and that neon blue lighting takes some getting used to after the soothing red in my A4. The all-red lighting really adds a distinctintive flair to the cockpit, I think. I hope Audi reconsiders, and maintains this little bit of individuality.<p>Greg
Old 05-10-1999, 07:02 PM
Stu Koch

True, but Skib Barber could do incredible things with a Yugo if he wanted to! =)
Old 05-10-1999, 07:42 PM
CC

hey, you gus should try a neon, it's fun to drive! and good value too!
Old 05-10-1999, 10:05 PM
Graham

Default If they are like those in the TT they are much more legible

Having driven the TT lately I was impressed by how much more legible the instruments were, especially in direct sunlight.<p>I put white faces in my A4 so I could read them with the sun shining on them. Sure the permanent <br>backlighting sine 98.5 or so has helped but in my opinion the TT style white on black with red needles are vastly superior.<p>If they are not like the TT's (in execution at least, not necessarily style) then I'll reserve judgement.<p>Graham
Old 05-11-1999, 11:20 AM
stevep

Default Re: Really? No more red gauges in Y2K Audi models....Quoted from R&T A6 4.2Q first drive....

That is really sad.Why would Audi change this when it is the best night illumination you can get.It has really become an Audi trait over the years. Why change it just for the sake of change, I could understand if it were for a better illumination but I don't think so. I also e-mailed Audi about it a few weeks back and they could not confirm or deny that report on new dash lighting. If enough of us e-mail who knows maybe they'll decide to reconsider.After all if were not happy with the car they just won't sell.<br>

Quick Reply: Really? No more red gauges in Y2K Audi models....Quoted from R&T A6 4.2Q first drive....