A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rear door latch won't latch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM
AMJ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door latch won't latch

96 A4

When I purchased the car this past August, the rear passenger door would intermitantly have latching problems when you opened it from the inside. The interior handle would not spring back, and the door wouldn't latch. However, if you pushed the handle back down, it would latch again.

On my way out last night, same thing as above happened, so I pushed the handle back down, and the door latched fine as usual. However, it happened again this afternoon, and I can't for the life of me get the door to latch.

I drove home with the door seatbelted shut (great start to the new year). I have since taken the interior panel off, and it appears that everything is in working order (the cable was still hooked up, the outer door handle is still hooked up and works). I pushed the cable back into the sheath as far as it would go, but still the latch won't latch shut. I have tried moving the clasp by hand, it moves fine but it feels like there is something not catching properly at the end of the travel.

Anyone ever have this problem? I need to get this fixed asap.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Uhh, grease the actual latch system? Then again it does seem to be a weak spring. My suggestion is don't waste time on trying to fix it. Simply replace it. GO to junkyard and get one from there.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like it just needs lubrication. With the door panel off, just spray that latch assembly with WD-40 or a similar spray lube. Also the rotating plate which grabs the striker, spray that and actuate by hand (door open of course) until it moves easily. If that doesn't restore it, you'll have to remove the latch to clean/lube more thoroughly.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 AM
AMJ
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
Sounds like it just needs lubrication. With the door panel off, just spray that latch assembly with WD-40 or a similar spray lube. Also the rotating plate which grabs the striker, spray that and actuate by hand (door open of course) until it moves easily. If that doesn't restore it, you'll have to remove the latch to clean/lube more thoroughly.
I tried the WD40, but to be honest, the latch seems to move very freely. I have actuated by hand, and it can be done with one finger. It just doesn't catch at the end of the travel.

Anyone ever remove a rear latch? How difficult is it, as I think this is the next step. It's -20 here (-30 w/ windchill), so I'd like to have as little learning curve as possible.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There is a spring-loaded pawl that should lock the latch from rotating when the door is closed. Looking at your car's other rear door, you can see how this pawl moves down when the door handle is pulled, allowing the latch to spring open. You might try to lift it back up, and if it moves easily but stays down, the spring is broken. If it's stiff to move, maybe there is corrosion or dirt keeping it from working. That would be better, because you could just lubricate and move this pawl until it is loose again.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
AMJ
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I think I have satisfied myself that the latch is indeed f'ed and not just frozen.

So this pawl is attached to the rod that goes from the handle to the latch system?

I think I might have to bite the bullet and make a trip to the dealer for this one, A4's are few and far between in the junkyards up here.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I re-read your original post, and see that I missed how the latch works fine when using the exterior handle. You'll probably need to take the latch assembly out to see what's wrong, and hope it's obvious and fixable so you don't have to buy a new one. The rear door latch is one of those parts that shouldn't wear out from over-use on most A4s. I've had the driver's door latch out of my '96, its not particularly difficult, just make sure to have the correct Torx tool for the two screws holding the latch to the door.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i had the same problem with my driver side door on my a6. What i did was take the latch out of the door and really clean and lube it with wd-40. while latching and unlatching it till it would not get stuck any more. now my door closes better then any of the other doors. It took me around 15min to remove the latch from the door. I would try to do that first before you take a trip to the dealer. if you plan on replacing it yourself. the only tool that you have to make sure you have is a 12point torx. that is what was holding the latch to the door on my a6 and passat.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Passat does indeed have the 12-point box socket, but my '96 latches use Torx fasteners, maybe T40. I agree with cmlltan that the latch in AMJ's car might be OK after some attention. The latch got worse gradually, which wouldn't be the case if a spring broke.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i read this post a few days ago and actually right now i just opened my driver door from the inside and heard what sounded like a faint cracking noise. now the inside handle moves very freely. does anyone know why that could be? its weird becuase i didnt do anything out of the ordinary when opening it, heard a noise and closed the door again and now the handle doesnt sit tight. and it wiggles.. any ideas?

Quick Reply: Rear door latch won't latch