A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rear Speakers very quiet unless turned right up

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers very quiet unless turned right up

Hi guys, great forum.

Here is my problem
I was messing around with EQ, Balance and fader settings in the car yesterday and noticed that if I turn the fader to 100% rear I can barely hear anything.

But if I turn the volume up to a normal level the sound gets louder and sounds perfect but then if I put the fader back to 50/50 front/rear the volume is deafening from the front speakers.

Its all standard Audi Kit.

What do you think is causing that? Could the rear speakers be blown?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been asking similar questions but haven't found and replies. I have the same problem with my 99.5 A4 which had non-bose stock speakers so I replaced the rears with a set of Alpine Type-R and Rockford amp and still can't hear them very well unless it's faded toward the rear. I also think the stock non-bose tweeters in the front are poor quality and overwhelming which might be part of the problem. My wife has an A6 avant with BOSE and it sounds much better, the tweeters are softer and the sound if rounded out front to rear very well.

I'm starting to think the rear acoustics just aren't right in the A4, something about the angle of the speaker vs. how close to the glass or something like that. My last car was a 96 bmw 328i with stock Harmon Kardon rears driven by my Clarion head unit which sounded 100 times better than my A4, even with these Type-R and Rockford amplifier.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

I think i have the same problem as well but i am not sure if the speakers are quiet just because the Symphony unit only has an output of 15 Watt per channel or or because something is messed up in the settings of the radio. Stock system just has that "tin can" sound and you can't expect much from it. I recently installed iPod integration kit and actually that's when things get kind of quiet, otherwise they are so-so with the CD. I don't really need my music to be loud but i love it when it's clear with a resonant bass.

I ordered SONY XPLOD components few days ago and once i will hook them up i will leave a feedback if there was any dramatic change in the sound quality. Lol but after reading that Type Rs are still quiet after being powered with the amp i am just hoping for a better outcome in my case

Also, you can access an equalizer in stock radio by pressing special combination of buttons and ***** when the radio is turned off and you should be able to custom set the bass and treble for each of the speakers in the car (at least for the 6 in the non Bose version) not sure what happens if you have more. If you need to find out how to do that just let me know.

Let me know your findings. Thanks!