A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

reckless driving - consequences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reckless driving - consequences?

Not that this happened, but when reading frame's post, something occurred to me. What happens when you hit either a pedestrian or car and someone dies
1. when you're driving within the speed limit?
2. when you're driving at only a couple of miles above the speed limit? (like 35 in a 25 zone)
3. when you're driving at twice the speed limit?

This is not a flame, I was lurking for a long time and I don't know of any other place/forum to ask this question.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:22 PM
Former Vendor

Default Twice speed limit:

arrest on the spot, license revoked, jail time, possibly more.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:30 PM

Default Re: reckless driving - consequences?

If you intentionally drove in a manner that a reasonable person would think might possibly lead to death, that warrants somewhere between murder and manslaughter...

Reckless driving is way more serious than any speeding charge, though speeding could be part of why you got tagged with it. If you hit a pedestrian and were cited for reckless driving, your *** would be wide open for lawsuits, since the charge might indicate to a jury that your behavior caused the hamburgered ped.

Speeding could be ruled not relevant (the guy suicided in front of your car intentionally), contributory, or causal. But all this is legal mumbo jumbo, peds have the right away, and even if they didn't killing people is really really bad. You don't want to face the final judgement with anyone's death on your hands.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:45 PM

Default too many variables ....

There's 3 different situations there, but some glaring omissions.

What actually caused the accident and, of course, where do you live. Laws are different from state to state, country to country, and the legal eagles in your area may not be as ambitious about pursuing something that might be borderline when compared to other areas.

You can be doing the speed limit, get in an accident, someone dies, and you can get charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Simply put, don't get yourself in that situation, and if by some horrible fluke you do, seek professional legal counsel with all the facts.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hamburgered ped... never heard that one before!
Old 10-10-2000, 10:19 PM

Default Re: too many variables ....

Actually the reason I'm asking is that I was crossing the street today and some jerk was doing at least 45 when he turned on red. I presume it was a 25 zone, so he was quite a bit over the limit.
Needless to say I had to run for my life. That's why I'm wondering.