A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

removal of resonator- '97 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1998, 09:26 AM
tmb

Default removal of resonator- '97 A4

Has anybody out there installed a Remus muffler and then removed their resonator suitcase? If so, how loud is the exhaust inside the car?
Old 11-30-1998, 10:28 AM
Gilbert

Default What perfect timing, I just had my resonator removed today.

I just got my resonator removed from my '97 A4 1.8TQM with Wett-chip and RAMAir filter. I have not changed anything else. All I did was have the resonator removed and a pipe welded in its place. <p>Well my first impressions are the exhaust had a nice low bass sound to it that makes the engine sound bigger and the noise level has only increased slightly. The biggest change was the increased bass at the lower revs (around 1000-3500)after that beyond 4000 I can't notice any difference. But all in all the exhaust sounds much better. The low end (low revs) sound is beautiful. Whenever I acclerate from a standstill like when making turns, I love having the windows down just to hear the exhaust. It doesn't sound like some race car but like a sport sedan, just the way I like it.<br>On the performance side the car feels torquier, if there is such a word, and smoother. Yes I feel an increase in power but it is nothing as drastic as the difference between the stock chip and the Wetterauer chip. All in all I am pleased. If you have the windows all rolled up then you will notice the very slight increase in bass but nothing much. And as you drive around you will not notice a difference unless you step on the gas and the revs are between 1000 and 3500. Whenever you do gas it from that rev range you will get a nice throaty roar(not loud but sounds soo cool) from the exhaust (windows down). <br>Now I do not know if this is legal or not in the U.S. but since I am now in Uganda (was in Boston before)and using leaded fuel there was nothing to stop me (emission related) removing the resonator because I do not know how it affects emmissions. So if you plan on removing it I would recommend first checking to see if there are any legal issues involved.<p>Hope this all helps,<br>Gilbert