A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Removing the interior rear deck panel material....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the interior rear deck panel material....

Hello...

I've got a 1999.00 A4 1.8TQ. Non-bose stereo.

Has anyone removed the rear deck panel where the rear speakers are?

I was wondering how to safely do so.....both removal & replacement.

If you could provide me with tips/tricks/suggestions/experiences, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has a diagram of how it comes apart, that would be a great help.....

Thanks to all that read.

Best regards,

Patrick
Old 11-18-2002, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing the interior rear deck panel material....

I believe there's a write-up on rear deck removal in the tech section. Basically, put down both rear seats, and the whole deck pops up, with the grills. The speakers are mounted separately in the metal framework. Removing the deck exposes the speakers.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's my FAQ on it:

Removing the Rear Deck

If your A4 has the child safety seat anchors in the rear deck, you will have to remove those anchors first. Use a flat head screwdriver to gently pry the 3 plastic caps off of the anchors, and that will reveal the metal hooks and the bolts that hold the anchors to the car's chassis through the rear deck.

Next, disconnect the CHMSL (3rd brake light) wires, the plug can be found underneath the CHMSL inside the trunk.

The front lip of the rear deck is held in place by 3 plastic snap fittings. Pull up on the front of the rear deck and the snap fittings will pop loose. Now the rear deck is free to pull out by sliding it forward out of the rear window area.

If your rear deck will not slide forward out of the rear window area after you have removed the bolts and snap fittings, you may have to pry open the deck and peek inside to see if your car has the white foam holding it to the deck. There are 2 strips of white foam that are glued to both the rear deck and the chassis underneath. If you pry the deck up, you should see if that is preventing the rear deck from sliding out. If the foam is glued to the deck, just use your hands to peel the foam away from the rear deck (but leaving it glued to the steel chassis). Not all A4s have this foam, so only do this if you cannot get the rear deck free.

There are 3 hooks that hold the rear portion of the rear deck to the chassis, and they pose no problem when removing the rear deck. Once the 3 snap fittings are free, just slide the rear deck forward 1-inch and that will clear the 3 hooks. It is important to make sure these are aligned properly when snapping the rear deck back in place.

NOTE: the A4 speakers are mounted to the chassis underneath the rear deck, not the rear deck itself. If you are looking to access the rear speakers, the rear deck must be removed.