A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replacement door speaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement door speaker

The tiny "speaker" (probably just a tweeter) at the top of the door near the latch is failing and crackling. The dealer wants $170 for a new OEM replacement.

That seems a little ridiculous. I haven't personally inspected the part, but my understanding is that it's just a tiny paper-coned speaker. For that price, you can buy a new, quality bookshelf speaker like an NHT SuperOne (if only you could get it to fit).

Anyone know where I can get a used one or a suitable non-OEM replacement with similar specs?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Get components. They'll replace both door speakers and tweeters. You have Bose?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:01 AM

Yup, I have the Bose. What do you mean by "components"?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a whole front speaker set (tweeter + woofer + crossover) for the front door.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

hehe... I'd like to see you hang a set of NHT SuperOnes from the ceiling :-)
Old 04-07-2003, 07:16 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default and they will need amplification, and he'll have to gut the bose system...

Another slippery slope...
Old 04-07-2003, 07:18 AM

Default Component speakers are a matched set of drivers that aren't attached so they can be mounted in...

seperate places. In your case, there is a tweeter near the door handle and a mid-range/mid bass mounted near the bottom of the door panel. He's suggesting that, if you need to replace the tweeter anyway, you may as well get a matched set of speakers and replace all your front speakers. Normally a set of components has a mid-bass driver, a tweeter, and an exteranl crossover and they are usually better quality than co-axial speakers (speakers with the tweeter physically attached to the woofer). These components are sold together and the designs of the drivers and crossovers are usually optimized to blend seemlessly with one another. You could find a single aftermarket tweeter, but, if you replaced only one side, you'd probably hear the difference between the two sides, making your sound system unbalanced. The Bose speakers that come with the car aren't very durable, don't sound that good, and certainly (IMO) are not worth $170 a piece.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default yup, yup, yup...

But if he decides to replace just that one tweeter, he should probably get the exact same thing (Audi OEM one), otherwise, an aftermarket one may sound different and not work well with the existing crossover.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Not a bad idea, but I will hopefully be selling the car within a few months

I was hoping for a minimum-cost solution, either a used one from a junk yard or a generic alternative with about the same freq response to be used with the stock system.

I have a deposit on a Volvo V70R, and the dealer claims it will arrive in late May or June (but, given all of the fighting over allocations already happening, I'm not holding my breath). I intend to sell the A4 when the Volvo arrives.

Dan
Old 04-07-2003, 08:06 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Junk yard is a possibility...

Quick Reply: Replacement door speaker