A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replacing Brake Pads, a DIY project??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Brake Pads, a DIY project??

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but have never done anything beyond tire rotations and oil changes do you think replacing front and rear pads is a DIY project? Also, do you recommend replacing/turning rotors? Vehicle has about 40K miles on it now.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brakes are simple

Rotors... Turn if bad... if not dont
Old 09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just replace the pads...its easy.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the rears are a bit harder than fronts....

you need to turn and press the piston at the same time to get it to retract. autozone will rent you the tool. or you can use a c-clamp and screwdriver. you need to have it off the rotor.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd do both

very easy job. Just get rotors too, they're cheap enough and yours probably are a bit worn with 40k on them. Do yourself a favor and get a haynes manual for B5 passat/A4. It gives a great step by step with pictures, and makes a lot of jobs very straightfoward.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Definitely DIY... just make sure....

..that you look at the whole caliper when you change pads. Assuming you have never really loked at or studied an automotive brake system, here is what I learned during my first brake experience:
#1: get the Bentley
#2: get the Bentley
Not a typo. Having the proper documentation is essential for a successful repair on any vehicle system. There is a 3-day subscription available from Bentley, during which time I was able to print out the docs I need. There is a decent set of PDFs on the A4 FAQ. The subscription costs $20 and is well worth it IMO.

#3: Get any special tools that may be needed before attempting any repair.
#4: Be prepared to have to overhaul the system
When I did my most recent set of brakes, I found the system needed an overhaul: Pads, slides, seals, boots, fluid, rotors, etc. I was prepared for this before I started the pads.

#5: The outer half of the caliper slides on 2 pins- they must be properly lubed, not seized, and the boots must be completely intact

#6: Check the piston seals for leakage.

Making sure the brakes are in good working order is the best preventative maintenance you can apply to your car's most crucial safety system.
It's also a simple system- brake fluid is the only fluid you need, and I recommend a tube of the anti-squeal lube for the BACKS of the pads only. You ought to also make heavy use of brake parts cleaner (I swear by the aerosol can version).

That's pretty much everything you need to know about the brake system. Good luck- ask many questions and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rears don't need to be replaced as frequently.

Every other time you do your front brakes, do your rear.
You can rent the piston compression tool at autozone. This is only needed for the rears.
Rears are a little bit more challenging as you might want to change the rear wheel bearing while you are back there.
As for turning, I heard somewhere that audi/vw rotors can't be turned..but need to be replaced. However after you get your Brembos or whatever.. i think you can then turn those.
Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ygm.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Brake pads, where best to get them?

Autozone, O'Reiley's are close by. Do they sell decent pads?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I only have these on the rears, but they are popular, Mintex red box and ATE (OEM) rotors

they are cheap and free shipping from Europartsdirect.com.

Quick Reply: Replacing Brake Pads, a DIY project??