A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replacing Outside Drivers Mirror Glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Outside Drivers Mirror Glass

Thanks to all of you that contribute to this forum. I am brand new to this forum and my "new" 1998 a4 quatro. Many of your posts have already helped me.

Now to my problem. The drivers side rear view mirror's "glass" has what looks like rust on it. Is it possible to just replace the "mirror/glass" and not the whole outside mirror unit. I apologize if the answer is in the FAQ/Tech articles. But I could not find the answer, including "googling my question".

If I have to replace the whole mirror unit I would do it. But the motor in the mirror unit works fine. It is a heated mirror. But I am guessing that I can replace just the "mirror" not the entire unit. It can't be that hard can it?

By the way cleaning out the drains from the sunroof was hard, but it is done. So maybe even replacing a mirror is hard.

If anyone can give me advice and perhaps their favorite supplier of parts I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I call BS on you searching/googling

I know for fact I've posted this before, because I have photos of the bare mirrors and such.

Go and buy this. It is a factory part, heated, direct fit.

Installation goes like this: Pry mirror on the four sides to release it. Disconnect wiring. New mirror goes in the reverse with a firm press to snap it in.

If you think cleaning the sunroof tubes was hard, you're in for it on everything else.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow,, if cleaning sunroof drains was hard do these things:
1. step back from your car
2. open phone book
3. call a body shop/ mechanic
4. go to victorias secret and pick out some new panties
Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Keeper of the Cash

That's a little extreme...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow, tough audience.
Nate,
Thank you for your advice. That mirror you suggested looks perfect. In fact I am glad you responded to my question. It looks like a better mirror than I was trying to find! Sorry, I probably did not do a good job of searching for the answer…but I did try again today. Your advice was much better than any other solutions I found.

I have only had the car two weeks. So I really don’t know much about it. I will be bringing it in to a mechanic/dealer for major work. But I figure some of the minor work I can do myself. Or fail and go to the dealer later, I don’t mind failing that is how I learn.

My first car was a 1966 Cadillac that I bought for $100 and found out it didn’t run. I rebuilt the engine myself. It worked for another 7 years. I guess I am dating myself. I bought that car in 1975. So I don’t mind getting my fingernails dirty. But rebuilding an engine back then only took a week, even for a novice. What took the longest was waiting for the machine shop to work on the heads.

But now cars are a little more complicated. Back in the day, one could look at the car and see how things worked.
I will be getting Vag-Com. I know I will have more questions.

Omega Supreme,
Any man who does not visit Victoria Secrets…is well suspect. Do you not like pretty women? Do you not like buying sexy things for your significant other? Do you not like woman models? I am lucky I have a couple of Victoria Secret stores around me. Back before I was married I would have worn panties in a heartbeat while I dated a couple of their models. LOL, some of them were a little more attracted to women than men. But it was fun, none the less.

Nate, thanks I really appreciate the help.
Eric
Old 05-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Keeper of the Cash

No problem. Those are great mirrors.

Also, I feel bad now knowing that you're way more mature then I ever could be...

The single best mirror mod I ever did was get a full size passenger mirror and the blind spot glass. Granted it took a month to get that glass, it was worth the wait.

PureMS, Joe @ AxisMS, and Carson @ Riverside Audi are all the people you will ever need to know for parts.

Last edited by Nate (ETKA+Scumbag); 05-22-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are also mirror sets (glass only) sold on Ebay; I had the same problem on both of mine, and got new glass for both sides with the driver's having the blind spot area for about $70 shipped. They've been great the last 9 months.