A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replacing stock speakers and amp(s) (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock speakers and amp(s) (kinda long)

Ok. Since no one on the Audi Electronics/Audio Forum will help me, I'm going to try my luck here. I want to put in my PG 4 chan amp to power Polk MMC650's for the rear and Fosgate 4" components in front of 2000 A4 1.8T. I have the blaupunkt adapter to get RCA outs from the stock H/U because i want to keep it. Can anyone assist me with the factory amp and the factory signals from the H/U? Tell me if this sounds right: 1) take out factory amp and wiring harness to the amp. 2) figure out how to rewire the signal from H/U to amp (im sure i'll find a wiring diagram). 3) install speakers and amp and replace existing wiring with aftermarket's (StreetWires). BTW I know how to install everything, i just need an overall for the A4. Your info is *VERY* appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Mr. Solid Citizen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is what I did.

The factory H/U has 2 pre-amps. It's 4 separate wires, 2 pos and 2 ground. You'll know which ones they are if you check voltage on them. It's really low, less than a volt. Cut the ends off of one RCA patch cable, one that is long enough to reach your amp. Wire the pre-amp pos leads to the center wire in the RCA, and wire the pre-amp grounds to the wire that is wrapped around the center wire of the RCA. (Making sense? It's hard to explain any better.) Forget removing the factory harness. Use the factory Remote, 12v power, and ground wires from the harness. When you pull the left rear speaker, the amp will come out as well, since it's attached to the speaker. Run speaker wires from the amp to each new speaker. You can pull the old speaker wire out of the harness if you feel the need. You may want to chassis ground the amp. I did this and it works like a charm. E-mail if you need more info.