A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Reported my first DUI suspect........nothing exciting though.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reported my first DUI suspect........nothing exciting though.

I was driving on the highway at 130am and I passed a MB going about 50mph in the fast lane. I thought to myself he has to be drunk, so I followed him, turning on my hazards when cars were approaching. The car was swerving and almost hit another car and thats when I called 911. She took down the license plate # and my name and told me to go about my business. I wanted to see a bust so I followed this guy to his neighborhood, where I finally turned around and just went home. I was hoping to see him get pulled over, but he got lucky. Wonder what happens to the guy since I gave the operator his license #? Do they just give a warning letter at that point?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:35 PM

turning on your hazard lights, what a nice guy =)
Old 07-12-2002, 03:36 PM

Default I'm sure they do nothing.

If they sent warning letters because of such things, people would be calling the cops every time a guy cut them off and made them mad and say the guy was drunk.

-mikey
Old 07-12-2002, 04:36 PM

Default Who knows.

One time i was drivng through a neighborhood at like 40 (speed limit 25) i passed some walkers on the road, and 20 minutes later there was a cop at my front door. But i'm sure that only happens to me.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:39 PM

Hell, I was following the guy at 50mph on the freeway, so it was to save my *** too!!
Old 07-12-2002, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I did the same on July 4th

My girlfriend and I were on a friend's boat in the Hamptons on July 4th. We stayed completely sober all day.

We were driving back to Queens from 1am-3am.

At about 2am we were in Nassau Co, and there was a guy in a Ford Taurus swerving on the road, not maintaing his lane at all. Could have been drowsy. Could have been drunk. So I called 911.

Let me tell you... Nassau County cops take this **** seriously!! Either that, or they had nothing better to do at 2am.
The cop on the phone kept me on the phone, and I was giving him updates of my location. He had me turn on my hazard lights and stay behind the offending car.
He told me that he had a patrol car only a few exits away. So when we passed the patrol car, he zoomed up on my left. I let him pass in front of me, and he pulled over the Taurus. The cop on the phone verified that they pulled over the correct car.

I was really impressed. In retrospect, the driver was probably just drowsy (it was 2am on a holiday afterall). He was swerving *somewhat* but not totally out of control. But enough to make me concerned. In any event, he needed to get off the highway.

I have called in other "possible DWI" reports before, but never got any results.

-- Peter