A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Repost: MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU upgrade ... impressions after 1 month

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1998, 09:18 AM
AdrianZ

Default Repost: MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU upgrade ... impressions after 1 month

Let me start off by saying that all the premium tuners (Wett, TAP, MTM) were included in my research, and I<br>think that any of them would be a good choice. I spent lots of time reading all that there was to read about them<br>on this Board, on the Web and in magazines. I also called and talked to all the operations and finally requested<br>references from Hoppen, MTM's sole US distributor.<p>Why did I choose MTM over all the rest? MTM is one of the premier (along with Wett) Audi tuners in Germany.<br>MTM is the oldest and often the first tuner to offer choices for all Audi / VW models and the upgrades span<br>from the conservative to WILD. MTM also has the highest numbers when it comes to tuned cars on the road. All<br>their work is of the highest quality (I can't speak for the others but assume that at the least very close.).<p>The last source was the EC magazine article that evaluated all the chips. Apart from there positive comments,<br>the Dyno graph showed something interesting: At the high end (5k-6.5k), the MTM ecu had almost maintained<br>its delta(diff between stock HP/ TQ and tuned HP/TQ) while the other tuner's delta went to 0. This as well as the<br>space between the HP peak and the TQ peak suggest (as the article pointed out I think) that this car did not<br>lose any of its driveability (important to me). I also noticed that even though it was not the fastest from 0-60<br>(fractions of a second) it was very close.<p>The reason I wanted a stage 1 was because of reliability. I still have 25k left under warranty and did not want to<br>push my luck. Audi also has this engine putting out 180hp and I figured that if they've decided to do it with the<br>exact same engine, it won't harm mine in the least. Once I get out of warranty I likely upgrade to the 250hp kit.<br>When it came down to a stage 1 ecu upgrade, MTM did fall short a few horses, but really did not make a<br>difference. It is also the most expensive choice ($795, Wett is $695, TAP is $495). For me, the extra couple<br>hundred of bucks was a non-issue .... to get 50 hp and 50 ft/lbs for > $800 and 10 minutes of work is a joke. <p>And now the fun part: how's it drive? Simply put, this has TRANSFORMED my car. Whereas before it was<br>quick, it is fast now. Second and third gear, (actually all of them) are a BLAST. The peak for torque is 3k rpm<br>and its almost as flat as a tabletop. Below 3k, the engine puts out a lot more than before. The driveability of the<br>car is great ! I've found that I don't need to downshift where I did before, and I can upshift earlier if I want. You<br>can feel it immeadiately ... and the best part about it is that no one knows. Not the mustang, not the camaro, not<br>the Bimmer. Even an M3 ( and he should/could have easily beat me, but he saw a 1.8T and took it easy while I<br>worked it). <p>There is some downside: There is noticeable turbo lag (just a little, but its also fun when it kicks in). I went<br>through 4 tank fulls of gas before I noticed a MPG increase and was seriously getting concerned (<300 MPG)<br>but that was because I was messing around so much ... I now see about +2-4 MPG increase depending on<br>how and where I drive. Finally, the clutch is a little more sensitive (there is a 30% increase in power to deal<br>with).<p>I've been reading / posting on this board for almost four months, and I almost went crazy choosing a tuner to go<br>with ... which is what many of you are probably going through. I wrote this up to help and to give hoppen a plug<br>since I'm so happy. When it comes down to it, you pay your money and you take your choice. You won't go<br>wrong with any of them (MTM, Wett, TAP). Emotionally its pretty hard to come to a decision, but technically its<br>liek buying a CD player. There are a few major brands all with the same technology, just some different options<br>and features.<p>GOOD LUCK and JUST DO IT !!!!<p>P.S. I just got a new scanner as was messing around and scanned in the reference letters (from MTM), MTM's<br>price sheet, and the EC 1.8 chip tuning article. If you want them, send me an email and I'll send them over.<p>P.P.S. I do not have any relation with Hoppen / MTM other than being a happy customer.<p><br>Adrian
Old 12-10-1998, 12:33 PM
MT atl

Adrian, I heartily agree! I have my Stage1 MTM in my 99TQMS and it is GREAT! Looking forward to Stage 2!
Old 12-10-1998, 07:35 PM
Dick

Default Re: Repost: MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU upgrade ... impressions after 1 month

Adrian,<p>Good report, thanks. I have been wanting a copy of the EC article on 1.8 tuning. Pleas email it to me.<p>Thanks,<p>Dick
Old 12-11-1998, 04:11 AM
Ben L

Default Re: Repost: MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU - What about Neuspeed?

at $179, is neuspeed junk? i haven't heard much about it other than greedyspeed selling it.<p>bl