A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Reverse chip impressions - gone back to stock for service

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2000, 07:45 PM
Sean R.

Default Reverse chip impressions - gone back to stock for service

Well, I swapped back in my stock ECU because I'm bringing it to the body shop tomorrow. I have to admit I was looking forward to it, being that I've been driving w/ the Garrett for over a month now, in order to see how just how "slow" it would be afterwards. Well, the answer is suprising. I figured it would be a slug in comparison, but it isn't so. Instead, it's a return to a more smooth and linear powerband... albeit without the kick in the *** afterwards. So I suppose it's kind of a mixed bag whether you're boosted or stock. You can have one or the other, but not quite both. I'm in no way saying that the Garrett (or any other 1 bar chip) is not smooth, because it is. Rather, it's the nature of the beast. One thing is certain though... floor it at 3k with the stock ECU and you're really going... nowhere... I'll pick the chip every time...
Old 02-13-2000, 09:56 PM
Wayne H.

Default Similar experience with APR chip

Moving back to stock was not as horrible as I thought. With the stock chip there was no more kick in the back from my APR 1.0 bar (version 1.2). The stock chip does feel smoother (at least at WOT .. otherwise the chip felt like stock at moderate acceleration).

However, I just upgraded to version 3.0 of the APR chip and was <b>very impressed</b> with how smooth the chip is. You still get a rush of speed, but not quite the same kick in the pants. So it still feels remarkably fast but you get a smoothness that rivals the stock chip.

I agree with you, no matter what chip you have... wow what a difference! I'm glad folks like Garrett and APR are around =)

Wayne H.
99 1.8TQMS APR
Old 02-14-2000, 12:34 PM
SteveW

Default Try Wett .8 bar

Less kick in the *** than the 1 bar but more linear. Just love the 1 bar though.