A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Revive trans with new fluid? Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revive trans with new fluid? Alternative?

Ok, I have a common question with a not so common reason.

I picked up an A4 with trans slipping issues (wording of previous owner). I have yet to be able to crank it up and have a look but after reading it seems a trans fluid and filter change can revive what appears to be a trashed transmission.

The obvious solution is to order up a trans fluid and filter kit from blau and see what happens.

Not wanting to potentially just pour money down the drain (literally in this case):

Would it be possible to use ANY other cheaper trans fluid for this purpose?

The idea would be to change filter and trans fluid, if it improves, go ahead and put the correct (more expensive Audi fluid in). Of course if it fails, just pick up a good used trans and swap it out.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually once they are slipping then they're done. Fluid and filter won't help. Check TCM for codes. Regardless I would use the correct fluid if your going to try it. Incorrect fluid will mix in and you'll never get it all out unless you do a flush.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyLime
Ok, I have a common question with a not so common reason.

I picked up an A4 with trans slipping issues (wording of previous owner). I have yet to be able to crank it up and have a look but after reading it seems a trans fluid and filter change can revive what appears to be a trashed transmission.

The obvious solution is to order up a trans fluid and filter kit from blau and see what happens.

Not wanting to potentially just pour money down the drain (literally in this case):

Would it be possible to use ANY other cheaper trans fluid for this purpose?

The idea would be to change filter and trans fluid, if it improves, go ahead and put the correct (more expensive Audi fluid in). Of course if it fails, just pick up a good used trans and swap it out.
A slipping trans could be from low-fluid level, which could be solved by a fluid change. It could be gummed-up or dirty valves, which might get better with a fluid change. And it might also be worn-out clutches, worn-out pump, leaking internal clutch-pack seals, etc. which won't improve with new ATF.

A new filter and ATF will cost around $60. I don't use factory fluid because I'm satisfied with the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc that I always use. You'll also need a couple of large hex keys or drivers for the pan plugs, a couple of Torx drivers for the pan and filter, VAG-COM to measure ATF temp, jackstands, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
I don't use factory fluid because I'm satisfied with the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc that I always use.
You run that in your Audi and havent seen any problems? If so that would fit the bill for this test.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyLime
You run that in your Audi and havent seen any problems? If so that would fit the bill for this test.
Actually three of those ZF 5HP19 transmissions in my family have the MaxLife ATF, and not without carefully checking it out first. Its a specified replacement for ESSO LT71141, but available practically anywhere. There are plenty of other ATFs out there that people like, but I'm satisfied with the Valvoline. I had a first gear shudder on my '96, which had always been filled with Audi ATF. After two MaxLife changes (to get about 90% fresh fluid) it is smooth as can be. No leaks either, at 215,000 miles.