A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

RF gurus TV to test key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RF gurus TV to test key fob?

channel 39 is between 311mhz and 317mhz, our key fob's are around 315-316mhz

can we make a simple antenna to test a questionable key fob?

just have to listen for the static to change or the screen to show a difference in pattern

this is what im thinkin anyway, and i would try it but i dont know if my key fob works, so i cant build a prototype tester and test its functionality, the style of antenna is my main question, anyone wanna give this a try?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

You still got an analog TV? Lol. You can just go to an auto-parts store like Autozone. They have remote testers there. You just press a button on the remote and the light on the tester blinks if the signal output from remote is detected.

Technically if the info you provide is correct you should be able to build some sort of Faraday cage with a pringles can(or other tinfoil wrapped container) and solder the outer conductor of Female surface mount UHF connector to it and solder a small pin couple centimeters long to the inner conductor, then connect to TV with coax cable. Basically a reverse cantenna used for wifi networks. The video signal uses AM for NTSC scheme so any signal generated by the remote within the 6-MHz band of the tuned channel should cause some change in the noise pattern on screen. Whether or not it would be noticable? I don't know. If I had a working remote I would try it.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol ya, too much crap in my basement

im in canada and we dont have any chains around ontario that offer that service, even the dealership says they test the module in the car and thats it, if the module is good they replace the fob

it looks like you know your stuff, thanks for posting that information, as soon as i can find a reliable 315mhz source, i'll give it a try

Last edited by quadroped; 03-10-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

...cool, I <3 over engineering and electronics! I went to try it and my old TV apparently isn't old enough. '04 Panasonics show no static on no signal, only a blue screen... If only it were older. My plasma of course just told me no signal, and yes it has a built in NTSC and ATSC. In fact is anything ATSC only yet? Mine's an '09
Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
You still got an analog TV? Lol. You can just go to an auto-parts store like Autozone. They have remote testers there. You just press a button on the remote and the light on the tester blinks if the signal output from remote is detected.

Technically if the info you provide is correct you should be able to build some sort of Faraday cage with a pringles can(or other tinfoil wrapped container) and solder the outer conductor of Female surface mount UHF connector to it and solder a small pin couple centimeters long to the inner conductor, then connect to TV with coax cable. Basically a reverse cantenna used for wifi networks. The video signal uses AM for NTSC scheme so any signal generated by the remote within the 6-MHz band of the tuned channel should cause some change in the noise pattern on screen. Whether or not it would be noticable? I don't know. If I had a working remote I would try it.
How do you press the button?