A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Right-Front Wheel/Suspension Noise is Killing me ! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right-Front Wheel/Suspension Noise is Killing me ! Please help

Ok, i've sent the car into Audi about 6-7 times already for this problem, they've looked over the car, and after about $3200 in repairs, the noise is still there.

1. The noise is a distinct rattling, clanking, metal shaking, almost like aluminum bleachers when i go over bumps.
2. Most recently the sound is getting louder and now has developed a clicking noise which is intermittant, and speeds up and slows down with the revolutions of the wheel/tires. and stops when i push the brakes. The suspesion metal clanking sound never subsides.
3. When i pull into a parking space quickly with the brakes applied, and turn the wheel, i get kind of a loud knock.

Not sure, but i suspect all of hte noises are related to the right-front wheel, whether the brake caliper, or control arm or the whole right a-frame, not sure.

Can anyone help me ? Similar problems ?
It's a 1997 2.8L Quattro manual with just a cone fiter and strut bar from lltek.

Also, i am in the North jersey area, Bergen county.
Looking for knowledgable Audi Enthusiasts in the area to bounce stuff off of, or perhaps to maybe listen to the noise in person for a diagnosis.

dnsrunner@yahoo.com
Old 11-08-2002, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Jack up the car and spin the wheel by hand.

Listen for the noises. If you hear anything, it is likely the wheel bearing and/or brake.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know what it is

It is the actuall pads themselves. I used to hear the exact same thing when I went over bumps, changed lanes, hit small cracks in the road, etc. audi said it was nothing that would hurt the car. But it annoyed the **** out of me! So, when it came time to change the brakes, I got Mintex pads and used lots of the brake glue to stick the pads good to the caliper. Ever since I changed the brakes, I have had absolutely no problems. I hope that helps! If it is not that, then it is the control arms......
Old 11-08-2002, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I will tell them and give it a shot : )

Right on man, they told me the same sh*t, they said it was safe, but the sound sucks. the car should be solid when going over any bumps bumpy terrain...

thanks for the input, this noise is killing me, between the airconditioning in the summer soooo damn loud, and the creaks and noises in the suspension i was talking about, i'm almost embarressed to drive this thing around. I need to get this baby to purr again...

I'm bringing in the car on tuesday, i will tell them what you said. hope it works, i can't take this noise anymore...