A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rubber nub on the hood latch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber nub on the hood latch...

So, the rubber nub on the hood latch, which is what you hold on to when opening the hood, has broken off on my car. It looks like it may be something that can be replaced. Any of you know if that's something that can be bought from the dealer? Anyone have a part number?

thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "which is what you hold on to when opening the hood" <------- Hahahaha, no its not!

That's why it broke!

8D0-823-480-D because you have to replace the entire assembly. The dealer will be more than glad to sell you any OE part you need.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you don't even want to know what happened.... ;-)

thanks for the part number
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Keeper of the Cash

orly? I do belive I want to now.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

teh hood secks? lol.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

We can pretty much picture it.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hah, ok... you asked for it...

Turns out that some dipsh*t driver backed into my car at some point over the last couple weeks. The damage was not obvious, which is why i didn't notice it. But, upon a very close inspection, it seems that the front of my hood was "flattened" slightly. There isn't the normal curve to the front of the hood... Also, my Kamei grill is indented at the top. But, there is no obvious impact point anywhere...

Anyways, I didn't notice any of this until I went to change my spark plugs this weekend. When I went to open my hood, the latch on the inside of the car would release the hood, but I couldn't get the hood open any further beyond that.

Playing around with it some more, and using a screw driver to release the latch (thanks to Todd at Autobahn Premier Service), we were able to get the hood open. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the slight damage to the hood made it so that the latch couldn't fully release the hood from the lock. It's like a quarter inch of clearance space for the latch that would normally be there, but now isn't.

At that point, I took the grill out and we tried to adjust the latch some more so that it would fully release the hood. That actually seemed to work, and I took the car back home. I have a spare RS4 grill at home, so I put that in. When I closed the hood, I realized that the adjusting of the latch made it so that it now doesn't clear the hole in the RS4 grill. Once again, i couldn't get my hood open. I had to pry some more to get the latch through the hole in the grill, and upon doing so, broke the rubber nub on the latch off. But, i got the hood open again and took out the RS4 grill. I put back in the bent Kamei grill, which has a larger hood latch hole. But, in order to get the hood open now, i have to use a pair of pliers to grab on to the latch.

Now, it looks like I'm going to have to replace the whole latch, at which point I may be back to square one... If I am, I may get a quote on getting the hood repaired.

See, I told you that you didn't want to know what happened... ;-)
Old 03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

rough hood secks woulda been better IMO.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

true. next time someone asks, that's what I'll tell them.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Hehe.

Quick Reply: Rubber nub on the hood latch...