A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

S4 shocks on A4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 shocks on A4?

Would shocks from B5 2001 S4 fit on a 1996 A4 Quattro w/2.8L 12v V6? A friend is upgrading his S4 and is will to give me his S4 shocks with around 40,000 miles on them.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They will fit but it won't lower the car very much if at all.It may sit higher in the front.

The 2001 weighs almost 20% more than your 96 A4. Most of the additional weight on the S4 is at the front.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They would more or less be the same as a sport model A4 - they'll work fine. The springs may not though if you're thinking those too - but you just said shocks so those are fine.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But the shocks are the "same"... it's the spring rate that is different.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Allroady DungBeetle
They would more or less be the same as a sport model A4 - they'll work fine. The springs may not though if you're thinking those too - but you just said shocks so those are fine.
Actually he is upgrading both shocks and coils. So I will be replacing both springs and shocks if they fit. I am not looking to change the ride height, but if installing those springs does change the ride height then I don't mind because it saves me a potential $800. I don't have sport suspension on my current A4 so would I need additional modification to install these springs and shocks?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No go ahead and do it. It will be no worse than your non-sport height. It may sit a hair lower in back - but you'll probably not notice much if at all.

And there is a seller on ebay selling CA's for cheep - try them out. I have bought other stuff from them before and had good dealings with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...ht_1798wt_1353
Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And keep in mind to get GOOD sways. Seriously. They make a bigger difference than you'd ever imagine.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

No go ahead and do it. It will be no worse than your non-sport height. It may sit a hair lower in back - but you'll probably not notice much if at all.

And there is a seller on ebay selling CA's for cheep - try them out. I have bought other stuff from them before and had good dealings with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...ht_1798wt_1353
Thanks a lot for your help buddy. At this point I am between ordering a control arm kit from FCP Gorton on eBay or the seller you recommended. You have shown you have a lot of experience so I will probably go with the seller you recommended and use the S4 shocks/springs that my buddy has given me. I am a bit puzzled about one thing. You had some negative things to say in the other thread I posted "really inexpensive control arm kit" about some of the ebay kit. I see that you have ordered stuff from this seller before so it puts me at ease. I am still waiting to hear from a few more people about how much luck they have had with the ebay kits and then I will go ahead and make a purchase. One last question is what brand CA's did you end up getting from this seller?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Many of the cheap Ebay ones are Meyle kits or no-name garbage. I am not sure what brand the ones i linked to are - they claim they are "OEM" but that can mean a lot of things with these outfits. I have bought other parts (not CA's) from them with good results. I have only bought one control arm from them - a single one for my allroad just recently. It is a good quality part and is not made in China, and it's not a TRW or Meyle part which I would stay WAY away from.

The TRW's I have seen a lot of early failures with.

I just assumed when everyone was talking ebay they were talking about the FCP guys - the stuff they are selling is NOT top quality. Not that the place I linked to is perfect - I have no idea to be honest - but what I've seen from them has been good.

I run a small shop and have seen a lot of failures - OEM's, German FEBI and cheap TRW/Meyle etc. The % of failures from the cheap ones is way higher. That said Audi had a string of bad ones too.... so you never know.

Doug.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many of the cheap Ebay ones are Meyle kits or no-name garbage. I am not sure what brand the ones i linked to are - they claim they are "OEM" but that can mean a lot of things with these outfits. I have bought other parts (not CA's) from them with good results. I have only bought one control arm from them - a single one for my allroad just recently. It is a good quality part and is not made in China, and it's not a TRW or Meyle part which I would stay WAY away from.

The TRW's I have seen a lot of early failures with.

I just assumed when everyone was talking ebay they were talking about the FCP guys - the stuff they are selling is NOT top quality. Not that the place I linked to is perfect - I have no idea to be honest - but what I've seen from them has been good.

I run a small shop and have seen a lot of failures - OEM's, German FEBI and cheap TRW/Meyle etc. The % of failures from the cheap ones is way higher. That said Audi had a string of bad ones too.... so you never know.

Doug.
What I don't get is if Meyle is bad why is Blauparts, which I have thus far viewed as a honest, workshop and VW/Audi parts retailer, selling them? Also what are your views on the Italian made Ocap CA kits baluparts has for sale?
Also are there any other brands other than Meyle and TRW I should watch out for, and isn't Meyle german?

Quick Reply: S4 shocks on A4?