A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod (FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-1999, 01:36 PM
James R.

Default S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod (FAQ)

Hey everyone, I just finished the S4 wheel well liner mod on my 1.8T it's pretty cool, but not as cut and dry as some might think. So out of the kindness of my heart (cough-cough) I've written a FAQ Style post complete with part numbers, pictures and step by step instructions on how to pull this mod off in style. Hopefully the A4.org powers that be will see fit to include this in the FAQ section of the ORG maybe not...either way it goes you'll have access to it via this post.

Let me start by appologizing for the format...it's a Word Document (Office 97) I can save it in various formats, HTML for one...but the spacing gets all screwed up...so if you've got Word use it. If not email me and I'll send you a more universal version. BTW - The file is about 330K just in case you've got a really slow connection.

Have Fun,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Neuspeed K04, K&N Filter, S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod, Remus Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed Front Anti Sway, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Ronal R28's 17", Euro Corners, Clear Sides, Full Tint...and some other stuff I probably forgot)<ul><li><a href="http://131.107.68.28/a4org/wheel%20liner%20faq.doc">http://131.107.68.28/a4org/wheel%20liner%20faq.doc</a</li></ul>
Old 12-05-1999, 05:52 PM
PC

Very cool Mod, Thanks for sharing & taking the time to post, its very clear, Should become a Faq
Old 12-05-1999, 06:18 PM
Charlie

Default Mudguard would cover the misfit of the S4 liner?

Thanks for the faq. Very timely, as I just received the s4 pat. I'm wondering whether the poor fit of the S4 liner against the a4 sill molding would be covered up by my mudguards, which overlap both the sill molding and the liner. As long as the mudguard still fits over the area (perhaps with a little trimming of the s4 liner) there may be no need to do the hybrid. Some may not like the looks of the mudguards, but I consider them essential with 225's on 8" wheels to avoid paint chips. Just a thought. My next step is to remove a mudguard and assess whether the s4 liner will fit underneath. I'll lett you all know.

Charlie
Old 12-05-1999, 06:35 PM
Leszek

Default James, do you know the part number for the right side S4 liner? (more)

I'm assuming that the right side has the vents as well, this should aid in cooling the turbo.
Old 12-05-1999, 06:37 PM
James R.

Default Re: Mudguard would cover the misfit of the S4 liner?

Well I'd have to see the way the Mudguard integrates with the side of the car. I think the Mudguards simply sit on top of the wheel well liner, if this is the case I can nearly guarantee that it will fit perfectly...aside from the edge not being completely wrapped around by the liner, that is unless you make the, "Hybrid" liner like I did.

To be honest I'm sure there are a large number of you who would not bother with the Hybridization procedure since it really doesn't look that bad...especially if you trim the edge of the liner. But if you want it too look factory then it's time well spent.

Mine looks superb...is water tight and is totally indescernable from factory...unless you jack the car up and notice the seam up top...which even then looks pretty nice you'd think it was built that way. Just as a side not..every screw lines up perfectly...but you must cut with precision...sloppy work will yeild sloppy results.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Neuspeed K04, K&N Filter, S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod, Remus Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed Front Anti Sway, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Ronal R28's 17", Euro Corners, Clear Sides, Full Tint...and some other stuff I probably forgot)
Old 12-05-1999, 06:46 PM
James R.

Default Re: James, do you know the part number for the right side S4 liner? (more)

Sorry don't happen to have that part number...it hadn't even occured to me to use it for that. I'm not sure it would do much for you though cause the turbo sits along the side of the wheel well...whereas the intercooler actually has a horn (scoup) built around it...which then discharges directly against the old wheel well liner. The air is then forced to take a less desireable route through the engine compartment...the S4 wheel well liner takes car of that.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Neuspeed K04, K&N Filter, S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod, Remus Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed Front Anti Sway, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Ronal R28's 17", Euro Corners, Clear Sides, Full Tint...and some other stuff I probably forgot)
Old 12-05-1999, 07:31 PM
Mike

This is why A4.org rules(I'm old school) Thanks good stuff
Old 12-05-1999, 09:00 PM
HansH

Thanks for the info, very appreciated!