A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

SCCA Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Racing

Anyone here every raced an A4 in any SCCA sanctioned event? If so let me know what the car was and what class you raced in cause im trying to convert my 98 A4 into an SCCA racer. Thanks, and any other SCCA info you might have will be glady appreciated as im sorta new to the sport.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Might want to cross-post to the Motorsports forum.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:50 PM

Default Check out their website. There are specific classes and A4's are listed. The classes also vary by

mods to the car and experience level. If you havent taken an racing school courses, you probably want to , just so you can get a more advanced scca racing license. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck in the level of autoX and low level racing.
BTW in the stock classes A4s have a HUGE disadvantage compared to some other cars in ther classes. Getting into higher level classes allows for more tuning, and if you have to cash and time, it will give you more of an advantage and chance of winning.

A4s are awesome, just that we get blessed with high weight, crappy stock hp, and understeer from hell (ok not that bad, but understeer is evident).

Really though driver experience will always triumph over small advantages of different cars.

Today I beat a 3liter BMW z3 with my 1.8t, right now all I have is a kN panel modded airbox, and took the middle muffler out of the exhaust, oh and a few diets done to the carpeting, sound deadening, and other useless luxuries... How'd I beat him? Partially insanity, a few caffinated drinks, and having no social life whatsoever! (just joking, but practice makes perfect)

GOOD LUCK, and make us all proud to drive Audis!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try to get in touch with Donny Edwards here in NorCal

He raced an A4 for awhile...as did Scott Hartmann of Hartmann Motorsports (SoCal)
Old 03-22-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: SCCA Racing

Racing is an expensive pursuit. Do plenty of research before you make a decision. Although many makes/models are listed as eligible for each SCCA class, each class is usually dominated by just a few specific models. I've seen many people choose to race a specific car because they love it and then spend a fortune trying to make it competitive in a class where it has no chance. They end up turning a perfectly good street car into a worthless race car. A acquaintance of mine is racing an A4 in the Grand Am Cup ST class and, as far as I know, has yet to crack the top ten. He's a very talented driver and, if he was in a BMW Z4, he'd probably often be in the top three but I doubt that an A4 will never get him there.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in even being out there if your equipment isn't capable of running at the front. Long ago, I ran Showroom Stock cars in SCCA. I won quite a few races, a Regional championship, a Divisional championship, and went to the Runoffs twice (finishing 2nd and 5th). I raced five different cars - an Opel, three Pintos, and a Capri. The only one that I actually liked was the Opel. The others were tools and I chose them because they were the "right" car for the class, not because I liked them.

If you want to really go racing and be competitive, here's the way to do it. Spend some time getting to know the racing organizations in your area (SCCA, NASA, EMRA, whatever). Find out what's winning and go with one of those. Forget any brand loyalty.

For my money, the best places to go racing (competitive racing and reasonably priced cars - but never cheap) are probably Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, and Improved Touring - you can probably buy a competitive car for not much more than you'd spend preparing an A4 (to be backmarker).