A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Screaming clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-1999, 01:17 PM
Koushik

Default Screaming clutch...

<br>hello all<p>My car is a '99 A4 1.8tqMS. Today, on two different occasions, I heard a noise similar to someone yelling "whooo!" when pulling away from a traffic light. In both cases, I was a little slow in letting the clutch pedal up. In each case, when I let the clutch up normally, there was no whoo noise. The strange part is, I'd been slow with the clutch in the past but never heard such a noise.<p>What might have happened?<p>thanks<br>-K.
Old 06-08-1999, 01:25 PM
P2

Default seems like more people are experiencing this....

I had the same noise coming out of first gear. A noise best described as a "whirring". This happened to my 98.5 2.8 around the 10K mark for about 2 weeks or so. At that time, I was able to reproduce the problem at will. It disappeared. At 15K service, I told dealer about it but was unable to duplicate the noise. I was told it is the master clutch cylinder. I can't confirm that nor deny it. I'm at 17K and it has recurred since. I think a few others on this board has/had simlilar problems...I'll just an eye or an ear out for it before warranty expires...<p>P2
Old 06-08-1999, 01:27 PM
P2

Default opps...I meant "it has NOT recurred since..."

sorry about that...maybe I should proof read before hitting "submit".
Old 06-08-1999, 02:44 PM
Slim

Default Samn darn problem (Long)

I had the same problem for a long time with my car around 4-6K miles. Sounded like a bird was dying under my hood. I have spoken with several people and it seems that it might be the master clutch cylinder. I have tried several times to get it repaired, but the Audi service dept. "cannot duplicate the problem" (surprise, surprise). It still happens, but very infrequently. I am thinking of taking a service technician for a longer ride to try and duplicate it again. Good luck
Old 06-08-1999, 04:01 PM
mrsoul55

Default Re: Screaming clutch...(long)

Do you only notice it when it gets warmer outside? I live in Chicago and have the same problem with mine. I've noticed it since about 5000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a wheel bearing so they replaced it but the noise is still there. It comes from the driver's side front and I can feel vibrations in the clutch and steering wheel. The noise sounds like what you are describing. I only notice this in the summer months though. I don't remember ever hearing it in the winter. It just started getting warmer here and the noise is back after a long time. 1997 A4 1.8TQ 5-speed with mods.