A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sedan vs. Avant

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-1998, 01:48 PM
JIM H.

Default Sedan vs. Avant

Quick (or maybe not so quick) survey:<br>I'm curious as to why the A4 has generally been<br>such a smash hit in the North American market in<br>sedan form, but in Avant form has been such a<br>flaming failure. Is the A4 buyer demographic so<br>resistant to driving "station wagon," even the<br>sportiest wagon on the market? Is the fact that <br>a typically optioned A4 Avant lists out for<br>$36,000. scaring non-enthusiast buyers away?<br>If so, will more people be buying the upcoming<br>1.8 Avant? How many of you even considered an<br>Avant this year before you bought your A4? AoA<br>is now so gun-shy about the Avant that they have<br>projected VERY conservative production numbers<br>for '99. What's everyone thinking about the whole<br>Avant situation?
Old 11-14-1998, 01:56 PM
Andrei D

Default Re: Sedan vs. Avant

Jim,<p>I didn't consider an Avant because I don't really need the extra space - but I've owned a wagon before and don't like the fact that you can hear everything sloshing and rattling around in the back. Nothing against the styling, mind you.<p>In addition to this, if I were in the market for a wagon for reasons of space, I would probably go for a Syncro Passat wagon or an A6 avant, simply because they have LOTS more space than the A4.<p>Maybe others view things the same way... Not trying to badmouth the A4 Avant <br>Andrei D
Old 11-14-1998, 03:31 PM
AlexS

Default Love my Avant...

...no if's, and's or but's!<p>Before I bought it I tried the Volvo V70 and even a 535 wagon ($$$'s). Avant has less space than the two others, but the Volvo was far too sedate and loose and the BMW was far too expensive. Now I enjoy the Avant so much I am going to get another for my wife in a couple of months and then, iof the planets align correctly, an S4 Avant when that arrives!<p>Alex
Old 11-14-1998, 04:12 PM
gco

still considering which one to get...
Old 11-14-1998, 04:16 PM
gco

Default but the 1.8t avant is definitely in the running! [longish]

I'd say its almost 50/50 now, but I'm still waiting for a test drive of the avant. From what I've heard from avant owners [check the archives, I've been asking the same questions], the extra space more than compensates for the minimal additional weight. Plus, according to the other owners, the weight is right where you want it, over the rear wheels [makes the weight distribution more even]. I also dig the looks.<p>gco<br>
Old 11-14-1998, 04:19 PM
JIM H.

Andrei:<br>Good stuff! Keep in mind, though, that in today's<br>car market a Passat Syncro, while probably $2000.<br>less, isn't yet available, and an A6 Avant, comparably optioned, is about $6000. more.<br>I have a theory that one of the factors that's<br>holding this car back a bit in the marketplace<br>is the name: Avant means NOTHING to the average<br>car buyer. I think that Sportswagon/Sportexpress/<br>Quattroexpress/Actiquattro/(you get the picture)<br>would have been/would still be a more dynamic<br>name for the cars than Avant zzzzzzzzzz...<p><br>
Old 11-14-1998, 07:28 PM
Hal

Default Yep, The V70 looks like the box that our Avants came in...

Hope you are non USA if you are purchasing the S4 Avant. I too want one but AoA tells me the S4 will only be available in sedan form, Sept 1999 as a 2000 model(current guestimates).<p>98.5 A4QMS2.8 Avant
Old 11-14-1998, 10:08 PM
Ray Calvo

For me, wanted something with the cargo-carrying versatility of my old Coupe Quattro. Sedan didn't do it for me, and didn't see them coming out with another hatchback after the "fiasco" with trying to sell the previous Coupe model in the US. So, it was the Avant or no Audi!<br>
Old 11-15-1998, 11:34 AM
Jon C

Default Re: Sedan vs. Avant: never considered the sedan, like Ray...

I wanted the cargo room of the Avant, with the sportiness of the sedan. I already had a German sedan with decent but small interior room (MB C280). I would not have switched to another German sedan with even less interior room. But now I have more room for my guitars & amps and my rear seat passengers -- the few times I have any -- will just have to deal with it.<p>Like Ray, it was Avant or no Audi for me...
Old 11-15-1998, 12:14 PM
J.Russ

Default Are the Avant sales figs. really *that* bad?

Your post is the first I've heard of Audi's alleged disappointment with American sales of the Avant.<p>I *love* my Avant. 'Nuff said. I was set on getting the sedan, but the wagon setup appealed to my rational side. I just couldn't justify the asking price for an A4 without gaining at least some increased cargo capacity over my old Integra GS-R sedan. 14 cubic feet just didn't cut it. The fact that it handles as well (or better, according to some) than the sedan sealed the deal for me.<p>I think any market aversion to driving a "station wagon" is broad and deeply ingrained in the whole US market. Our fascination with SUVs proves that most of us can't reconcile the concepts of "performance" and "utility" in the same vehicle. <p>That said, I should note that you can't swing a dead cat in my town without hitting a Volvo wagon. The market's there; Maybe the A4 Avant's just too small to suit the needs of families who need a wagon.<p>If Audi would put more of a sporting nature into the A6 Avant, I might be interested. As for now, give me my schportwagen.

Quick Reply: Sedan vs. Avant