A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

SERGING QUESTION....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERGING QUESTION....

Hey i am currently running my ko4 turbo with awe giac tip chip....i have full milltek exhaust...with hyperboost dv and evolution fmic...im having some surging and was wondering if i need a new n75 valve and which one.....i own a 2001 a4 tiptronic....i plan on upping my boost to about 18psi after i get a new chip that my buddy is custiomizing that will trip the computer system to think im running lower boost then i am...also my buddy said that maybe putting a new n75 valve in might take care of my serging and give me some more power....he also drove my car and said that it needs to be tuned better....im not really getting a throw back when i hit the throttle and i know some of you guys are going to say because its automatic but nah thats not the case especially with all the mods i have done i would espect it to do more....someone help me out and i dont need the smart *** commenst from some of you guys....thanx
Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 AM

SERGIO is a cool guy and boost surging is not good.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Why not ask your buddy, since he seems to be so smart?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You mean surging? I'd check the vac lines, also I think that the DBW cars have problems with

the L-hose at the back of the intake manifold. Those would be cheaper than a N75, although that could be the problem. Now for the smart-*** comment: does your friend work on audis much? sounds like he wants to run a resistor on the boost sensor (or something similar) which would be a bad idea, IMO.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The problem is your giac chip

I had this problem to and have seen it many other times, always the conditions free flow exhaust, intercooler, small turbo and the biggest factor the giac chip.

What happens is Giac write there programs for least turbo lag possible, this creates an effect where boost can not be modulated. Giac chips feel faster because of how fast they build boost but in reality it is not faster than say an APR chip nor does it make more power.

What happens when you replace your exhaust and intercooler is there is less restriction in your turbo system and boost lag and boost threshold are lowered, when you combine this with how faster giac requests boost it exceeds requested boost and then pulls boost then lets it go it exceeds requested boost a pulls boost this keeps going until higher rpms. Some times the spike in boost is so high that it exceeds the map sensor.

Do not let your friend do what he suggests. You can do one of two things:
1) Put an mbc in with n75 and cap boost at 18psi, this is a band aid for bad programming but will make it better
2) get an apr or revo chip, apr is better than revo but neither request boost in as stupid a way as the giac chips

An apr chip will make all your problems go away.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But APR does not has software for K04.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

But REVO does
Old 07-27-2005, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default APR doesn't have a KO4 program, only MTM, Wett, Dahlback and GIAC.

Revo might have one for an 01, but I've never heard of anybody running it.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: The problem is your giac chip

so u really think my programming is just ****ty....cause i feel like im not getting the speed im suppossed to....doesnt seem that fast and it should seem significantly faster correct?.....thanx let me know.....do you have a tip also?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

for the B6 platform.

Quick Reply: SERGING QUESTION....