A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Service Experience woes, maybe i'm picky, need shoulder

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-1999, 09:28 AM
randall

Default Service Experience woes, maybe i'm picky, need shoulder

Took my car in to agincourt autohaus for 84,000 Service. Oil change.<br>I have the used car warrante (120,000KM), lists for $1000 CDN<br>Listed the following problems<br>1. Driver's side door wind noise (we all know this one)<br>2. Driver's side seat rocking. Seems that the bolts are loose or something, but on acceleration, u can feel the seat rock back and forth<br>3. Seat wear. I warned on hear before on the leatherette--its worn smooth on the drivers seat cushion and cracking. It looks real bad, and is embarrasing.<br>4. Dash lifting. (we know this one too!) repaired last year, and starting to lift again.<br>5. Front clanking on bumpy roads. (I want to do suspension so lets get this out of the way)<br>6. Water temp not sitting at 90Deg. This is odd, sometimes it is below. Service guy says this is normal, and does not write it up. OK.<br>7. Fluctuating idle when cold. Service guy says this is normal (about 200RPM), and does not write up. OK<br>8. Cold running rattle. Sounds like the muffler is going to fall off, but goes away when warmed up. Service guy says this is normal, and does not write up. OK.<br>9. Called and added that the sunroof makes weird noise when closing, like an internal mechanism is going to break.<br>Ok, they call and say:<br>Door noise fixed, seat fixed, seat wear not covered under warantee, $230 to replace.<br>Dash lifting cant find, front clanking fixed (some control thingy replaced AGAIN)<br> Did a recall on the injectors—just checked to see if they were leaking, they were not, ok.<br>So I tell them pls check again on dash.<p>Show up to pick up the car:<br>Doorr: fixed, and sooo tight that you have to slam to close, and the outer weather stripping is deformed.<br>Seat: still rocks<br>Dash lifting obvious.<br>I grab the unwilling service tech. Take him out to the car. He says:<br>Door—ok it should not be that tight, whats the big deal attitude, bring in again to fix<br>Dash—looks ok, whats the big deal<br>Seat –looks ok, some play is normal<p>ARRGGG!!!<p>I have an appointment with the manager a Mr Hansen on 10:00 am Monday.<br>Maybe I am just venting, but I don’t just bring my car in to have a conversation with the service guy. This is the 3rd set of problems with Agincourt, and it seems I ALWAYS have to go back to get it done right.<br>We’ll see.<br>Thankx for listening.<br>1996 a4 2.8 qm 12v<br>
Old 05-12-1999, 10:42 AM
Kyle Bailey

Default Sounds almost identical to my experience

In my case, it was at Rusnak Westlake. I took the car in with a couple 100 miles left on the warranty and complained about driver's door wind noise, a rocking driver's seat, a rattling headrest, and inoperative alarm sensors. I showed up at the end of the day to pick up my car, and the service advisor told me the wind noise was fixed, the alarm was fixed, the driver's seat play was "within spec", and the headrest was "within spec". I argued with the service advisor, and he finally agreed to keep the car another day and see what could be done about the headrest.<p>I went back the next day, and all they did (according to the service advisor) was put teflon tape around the headrest posts. When they brought the car out, I checked the door and found that I had to slam it to get it to close, and the alarm sensors still didn't work until I tapped the grill in front of the sensors. I was annoyed but didn't feel like arguing. Over the next couple of days, I became increasing annoyed at having to slam the door two or three times to get it to close, and on two occasions, it popped open while I was driving. I took it back and told them the door adjustment was unacceptable. The mechanic fiddle with it for a few minutes and they told me everything was fixed. All he did was adjust the striker plate, so now not only did I have to slam it, but the rear edge of the door no longer lined up with the leading edge of the rear door. After 3 more hours, I finally gave up and decided to do it myself.<p>It took a little trial and error, but I was able to realign the window frame so that the door closes with the same soft touch as the others, AND, the wind noise is gone. I have been meaning to submit a FAQ on this procedure. In the meantime, if you'd like, I can e-mail you a description of what I did.<p>I also found that they put electrical tape on the headrest posts rather than teflon tape. This made the headrest unadjustable, so I removed all of the tape. I've been living with the headrest rattle (along with the inoperative alarm sensors and rocking driver's seat).<p>Kyle<br>'97 2.8
Old 05-12-1999, 10:59 AM
G. Hale

Default About the seat problem.....

I had the same problem with my drivers seat. I took it in, mentioned the problem, and they ordered new rails for the seat. Had to make another appointment for when the rails came in, but this DID fix the seat rocking problem. Mine was rocking just on one side..... the side toward the middle of the car.<p>G. Hale<br>'98.5 2.8 QMS
Old 05-12-1999, 01:30 PM
MikeM

Default My Seat rocking problem...

I also had a seat rocking problem on my 98 2.8qtip, I complained about it soon after I bought it and was told that it was "within spec". It mostly manifested itself under hard acceleration/braking, sort of a back and forth motion. I complained again at either the 7500 or 15000 mile checkup and they said they adjusted the tracks. It does feel better but there is still some movement. Hope this helps. Dealer is Fred Baker P/A , Cleveland, OH.