A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Service Woes [long]

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2000, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Woes [long]

HELP! In the short year I've owned my first Audi, I have a long history of having problems with the service dept from where I bought my car. The service manager doesn't return calls or keep appointments. I made a verbal deal with the sales dept. when I bought the car to have my car picked up for service. However, the service manager kind of groaned at this when I called for my first service appointment. Not wanting to abuse this "privilege," I ended up bringing the car in myself for the 2 "routine" service checkups I've had. This last time, besides the regular service, I also brought my car in to have a cracked water tank for the headlight washer fluid fixed. A part had to be ordered and the service manager said it would take a few days. After 3 weeks, I called. As usual, I had to call several times before I could get an answer whether the part was in or get him on the phone. It wasn't in, or so he said, more time went by, and in general, more of the same lousy treatment. Finally, when the part arrived, I took advantage of my agreement and made an appointment for them to pick up my car. They failed to keep the appointment or even call. After about a week of leaving messages, I ended up calling the sales manager to complain. He listened with a sympathetic ear, but he, or no one else, ever got back to me! So I called the owner and left a message on his voice mail. He also never returned my call, but the service manager called the same day and we made another appointment. No explanations or apologies.

However, I was furious that the owner didn't return my call. I didn't want to have to go to such lengths to get service in the future. I wrote a note to the owner and faxed it to him. I admit it was a little nasty. I told him I was going to make a comment on the internet (which I did - alt.autos.audi), and tell my acquaintances about this experience, which I did. From what I learned, the owner became furious and told the service manager not to service my car. Of course, the 2nd appointment wasn't kept.

I complained to Audi a week ago. While they were very sympathetic and seemingly outraged at the dealer, they really didn't do anything outside of call the dealer a few times. Maybe my expectations were too high. The owner is away on vacation and the service manager didn't return Audi's calls. [big surprise!] They arranged for me to get serviced right away at another dealer. I appreciated that, but my problem isn't urgent – I want the issue of getting my car picked up and service resolved. I told them I'd prefer to wait until they could talk to the owner, which is where the situation is now.

One of the many reasons I got the car was because of the agreement that we made to have the car picked up for service. It really is a huge hassle for me to take the car in. I don't want to have to give up this "right" and, although Audi cannot make my dealer abide by the agreement, certainly there must be something else they can arrange with another dealer? Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2000, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Service Woes [long]

Odd stuff. How many of you out there have good, or even great dealerships? Typically the dealership follow the lead and the temprament of the owner. We are fortunate to have a GREAT Audi dealer here in Des Moines (Jordan Motors), but I have at various times owned Toyotas, Fords, Olds, etc. Dealership attitude varied. While service has been good at most dealerships (Toyota always did a thorogh job). The Audi dealership is the only one where the service manager greets me by name (always, not just when I show up for scheduled service, sales manager and salesman remembers my name as well, and I am not a squeaky wheel or anything). These people actually make you feel like they are happy to have your business.
Any others with POSITIVE experiences?
Joe
Old 07-09-2000, 04:19 AM

Default Wish the Audi World Wizards...

could develop an honest, objective tracking system for rating the dealerships. Probably not a great idea as it would undoubtably become a more of a "bitching board" than an honest medium to rate dealers... especially their service departments. Just can't seem to understan how or why a dealership tolerates sub par service departments. I'm a year away from buying a TT or S2000 and, based on my experience with Honda/Acura service I'm leaning towards the rice burner. Yeah, I know, blasphemy.<p>J.R.S.
99.5 A4 1.8Q
87 Grand National
12.2 @111
Old 07-09-2000, 04:40 AM

Boy, this sound familiar. Is the dealer Holbert's Audi in Pa? Same type of thing every time...
Old 07-09-2000, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Nope, it was Bellavia

-- in West New York, NJ. There were some previous complimentary comments on this board about George Cepeda at Bellavia, one of the salespersons. He was my salesperson also. I agree that he's a fantastic all around person and he has even gone above the call of duty to run interference for me with the service department. I don't want to get George in trouble and can't get specific.

A hard lesson I learned -- find out about the service department before putting your trust in a dealership.
Old 07-09-2000, 04:57 AM

Get everything in writing, signed and dated.
Old 07-09-2000, 05:02 AM

Default what's the point?

While it would have been prudent to get the agreement in writing, no one is denying the agreement was made. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that an oral contract, in this instance, is just as binding as a written one.
Old 07-09-2000, 06:18 AM
Jeff S

Default How's this for positive?

Audi dealers are few and far between in Florida. There is a dealer local to me that has a long history of horror stories. They are under new ownership, yet are still giving unacceptable service. Thanks to the local Quattro Club and A4.org, I knew to stay away from this dealer.

The dealership where I purchased my car is 70 miles away. Fortunately, they have the most amazing Audi tech. He is a very active member of our club, and is always willing to assist people at our meetings. The best part is he lives in the local area and will pick up our cars at our homes and drive them to the dealership for service. Sure, it is a lot of mileage for a service call, but the level of personal attention is outstanding. He will even drop off a loaner. Last time I got a 2000 C class Mercedes.

Since the dealer is Audi, Jag, and Mercedes, I imagine the dealer is used to more affluent customers. Luckily, us lowly Audi owners can take advantage of this.

The only problem? Word is travelling quickly about the quality of service, and it seems to take a little longer to get an appointment. This is a great problem for the dealership to have, and I am happy to deal with it.

I hope this gives some owners experiencing poor service some hope. You could always move to Florida.

99.5 A4 tqms
Old 07-09-2000, 07:19 AM

Default Keep in mind, you made a VERBAL agreement.....

I used to work in sales when I was trying to put myself through school, and unfortunately, salespeople will say almost anything to close a deal.

If you didn't get it in writing, you are really beating your head against a rock, especially after writing the nastygram to the owner.

Don't get me wrong, I agree completely with you that this is not being handled correctly by this dealer, but think for a minute, after everything that has transpired, would you actually <b>want</b> them to work on your car again? Might be in for a shocker if you do.

Do yourself a favor, write off your verbal agreement and take the car somewhere else.
Old 07-09-2000, 07:23 AM

Default Local dealer...

Jeff, I suspect we are talking about the same dealer. I've gone to them with simple questions and a warranty problem and pretty much get a deer in the headlights look from them when I try to get some simple answers. If you wouldn't mind passing along the dealer you go to and your favorite tech I would really appreciate it. I like the folks down at Champion but it's quite a hike from O-town.

Jim
ocso@magicnet.net<p>J.R.S.
99.5 A4 1.8Q
87 Grand National
12.2 @111

Quick Reply: Service Woes [long]