A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Service Woes [long]

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2000, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Service Woes [long]

I'd have to say, start using a different dealer! The dealer I bought my car from absolutly sucks when it comes to service. So I have my baby serviced at a local VW dealer which has 3 Audi techs on hand. I have had nothing but excellent service from them, everything on time when they say it will be done and a new VW of my choice as a loaner, and I didn't even buy one single thing from these guys yet! hmmm, makes ya think.

Jewel
Old 07-09-2000, 09:49 AM

Default Jewel has the solution, but....

what I am concerned about is what good is the 4yr./ 50,000 mile warranty if you have to wait a week or two or three just to get your car in. Then if it's a serious issue where the car won't run untill the repairs are completed, and it takes another week or two or three for parts to arrive, your without a car for 4 - 6 weeks.

In many parts of the country it sounds like Audi is simply not meetings it's obligations to honor it's warranty.

In Jewel's case she just went to another qualified independant shop, and paid out of pocket to get propper service. Something those of us who can't afford to be without a car for weeks on end will have to consider.
Old 07-09-2000, 10:23 AM

Default My last car was Japanese too...........

a Mitsubishi. The most mechanicaly reliable car I have ever had. The problems I had with transimission were the fault of a series of jerk mechanics screwing up. I had the transimission rebuilt, at 60,000 miles, courtesy of the tow truck company that towed it (AWD Galant GSX) incorrectly. It was rebuilt by Concord Mitsubishi. The gears always seemed to grind if I didn't shift absolutely perfectly. For two years every time I took it in I'd tell Concord Mitsubishi that the car wasn't shifting right and from time time I would realy grind the gears during a shift. They'd tell me it was the rug in the car getting in the way of the clutch pedal, Jiffy Lube must have put in the wrong fluid, etc.... At 105,000 miles the transimission self-destructed. I called up Mitsubishi's Western U.S. factory rep, and told him I had a problem with paying 3,000 dollars to rebuild a transimission that only lasts 40,000 miles, and that I didn't think the dealership was addressing an ongoing problem. It turned out the bone head that rebuilt it forgot to put one of the seals in, and basicaly I was driving around with half the transmission fluid. Anyway Mitsubishi paid for it and the rental car for the six weeks I had to wait for them (another dealership) to get the parts and rebuild it.

Sorry long story. Point being I have been able to trace most of the serious problems I have had with my cars to mechanics screwing up. If your new car makes it past 6 months without any problems and you take good care of it, they should last 8 - 10 years.

My experience so far with AofA, has not been even close to the responsiveness and results oriented approach I had with Mitsubishi. My impression with Mitsubishi, Lexus, and other Japanese manufacturers is that they recognize the importance of backing up their product and protecting customers from dealerships that screw up.

However, I also beleive the internet gives us the means to influence Audi's sense of priorities. If people here pull together in letting Audi know that we are all paying attention when one of us gets bad service, and not only appreciate it but pray for service like Jeff S's service department in Florida, then Audi will be a better company and we will all have a better experience in the long run.
Old 07-09-2000, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes, bernardi in natick

At first I wasn't impressed with them much and I went back and forth between dealers.

Then I spoke to one of the service folks about the wet braking problem and pushed on them. I got lucky I guess because the service manager got involved, took the part number (posted in this forum, thanks audiworld) etc and solved my problem. Now they know me when they see me (they may even remember my name!) and feel comfortable exploring modifications and impact on my warranty. I guess by being firm, persistent but friendly I got to be a 'regular' customer and they seem to be on my side (as best as a dealer can be).

I'll stick with them as long as the positive treatment continues, and I send friends there as well with the name of the folks they should speak with and a verbal message that I referred them. Yes, I'm sucking up It works so far...
Old 07-09-2000, 01:22 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTW, unless you're using pictograms, all agreements are verbal...

Oral agreements, however, are made by conversation.
Old 07-09-2000, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bellavia's service department is SECOND TO NONE

Your salesman may have been misinformed about the policy regarding picking up cars for service.
I don't know of ANY car dealerships that do that, except for Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, and Ferrari, and maybe a few other megabucks nameplates.

And it is certainly not a freebie. Those owners pay several hundred dollars just for a frigging oil change. Audi's policy is to provide free scheduled maintenance for the first three years of ownership (4 years for the 2001 cars). Nowhere in Audi's literature do they promise that sort of service. If it is a dealer policy, then you need to clear that up with the salesman (just like the policy on loaner cars). I think it is unrealistic for you to expect that sort of "perk" from any dealership when you are dealing with a relatively inexpensive car.

I am sorry to hear that you feel that you have been treated unfairly at Bellavia. Most of us here on AudiWorld regard Bellavia's service department to be one of the best around.
Perfect ? Certainly not. But they do try harder than most others, and that's about all anyone can ask for from dealerships these days.

I have little experience with Bellavia's sales department. I looked at a car there, but ended up buying my car privately in upstate NY.
But I do use Bellavia's service department exclusively, and I have been quite pleased with them so far.

Good luck,
Peter
Old 07-09-2000, 06:54 PM

yeah, well, you knew what I meant ---- smart ***!
Old 07-09-2000, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use Bellavia service and I'm 100% satisfied compared to a Central NJ location.
Old 07-09-2000, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Honda dealers... Yuck !

Maybe it's just a New York City thing. But I find that the local dealerships here are terrible.
Years ago, Honda had the ad campaign "the car that sells itself," and the salespeople STILL take that expression too literally. They are just plain useless.

And the service technicians I have dealt with at Honda & Acura dealerships were just about the worst vehicle technicians I have encountered.
(I had an Integra, but usually got it serviced at the local Honda dealership, out of convenience.)
It took four guys just to mount one of my snow tires!! Totally incompetent.
When I actually did have a problem with the car, and brought it to Acura (Honda would not do warranty work) the tech was unable to fix it.

And they have the nerve to overcharge for the 15k and 30k services ?!
When I saw what Honda/Acura wanted for a 15k service, I started using the local mechanic, instead of the dealer. Same job, 1/3 the price.

They are great cars. And Acura salespeople were pretty good. But I can't say anything good about Honda salespeople (I've been to 5 different Honda showrooms and 4 Acura showrooms while I was seriously shopping for a car). And I definitely cannot say anything good about the service departments at Honda or Acura.
I can only imagine that the technicians don't get enough practice working on the cars, because they are just so darn reliable!

That said, I'd love to drive an S2000. :-)

Your milage may vary...
If you have a good dealer near you, with competent technicians, I'd say go for it!
I'm almost envious. The best thing that I can say about the local Honda dealer to me is that the cashier girl is pretty cute.

-- Peter
Old 07-10-2000, 08:28 AM

umm, I have never paid a penny, that was my point. Try a different dealer-get the service you deserv

Quick Reply: Service Woes [long]