A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Short shifter .... again

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Short shifter .... again

Sorry, I am sure this has been posted before, but I am considering installing a short shifter because I always felt that the biggest disapointment on my A4 98.5 was that the gearbox was notchy, especially from first to second gear.

I complained many times to the dealer and they told me that everything was normal. I always felt that my Honda Civic SI was better!

I read yesterday that the UUC short shifter was eliminating the notchy effect. I know that a lot of you seem to prefer the Neuspeed, but I do not like the short look.

Since my primary concern would be to improve the feel, while retaining the same height and look, would the UUC do the job properly ?

How do people with a UUC feel about it.

Thanks,

Pierre

PS.: Does anybody knows a supplier for the UUC in Canada ?
Old 02-05-2002, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All i can say is zip tie mod. LOL

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/829195.phtml">Link to the zip tie mod</a>

All I can say is no way would I spend that much money on a SS and have to do this. I would get my money back. Instead I have a neuspeed coming next week.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:00 PM

im finally gettin my B&M installed this week.. i'll post my impression
Old 02-05-2002, 03:00 PM

Default some liket the UUC cuz its aluminum while the Neuspeed is steel...as well as the height factor you

mentioned. Some say its sloppy, and the reduction is not as great at the Neuspeed(35%), its up to you what you do, I dont hear too many bad stories about the Neuspeed one thats why I opted to go with Neuspeed. As Im sure you are aware there is a group buy going on for the Neuspeed as well. Good luck what ever you decide
Old 02-05-2002, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a UUC.

I love it...don't have any probs with having to do the so called "zip tie mod". I hate the short look of the neuspeed...i think its retarded looking.

One thing i can tell ya is that installing a SS will not get rid of the notchiness. Not in my case and like 6 or 7 other people i know who have installed them too.

Lots of people have complained about the UUC build quality...saying it doesn't fit quite right...which is True. I had to shave a little bit of plastic to get the shifter assembly to fit. But haven't had a single issue with it since install.

If it weren't for the short look of the neuspeed and i had to do it all over again..i would go down that path. I've heard no issues of fitment or anything with the neuspeed.

Its up to you...take the change with the UUC...or get the neuspeed one and get used to how it looks.

I have an '01 BTW.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quit bashin it! hahah....

Obviously you've learned not everyone has had to do this with the UUC...i've not met one person who HAS had to actually.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:27 PM

Default no i hear ya but i never heard any complaints about the neuspeed. and the uuc pushdown cost @

$240 bucks. that's allot for build quality that is slightly off.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:27 PM

Default I think you'll find the 'zip tie' mod that Bill in SoCal linked for you is only an issue with the

non push down reverse shifters. This is speculation on my part but I think the UUC works just fine on the push down for reverse shift mechanisms. I think that the changes wrought by Audi when the shifter was changed to no push down for reverse were not properly addressed by UUC ... at least for many of the AW posters who had bad experiences with side play and play in the vertical plane. I have the push down UUC and it is tight in both planes. Other's with the push down for reverse also express satisfaction.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think its the people who install it that are "slightly off"....

The build quality was fine for me. Yes, i did have to shave some plastic to get it in there...but if they ball were small enough to fit past the plastic that i had to shave...you would loose that tight feel that i have.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:30 PM

hehe i too think the neuspeed looks stubby, but i guess i'll get used to it :-)

Quick Reply: Short shifter .... again