A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Should I change the rear rotors with new ones if I want to use Mintex pads??? (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-1999, 10:35 AM
Eric M.

Default Should I change the rear rotors with new ones if I want to use Mintex pads??? (longish)

Hi all,<br>I just got my Mintex pads from Camra Motorsports and plan to have my dealer installed them on my A4. But I have some questions before I go for it. My car has 38K miles on it, and last week my dealer changed the pads (front & rear) and rotors (front ONLY) with the OEM parts under the Audi warranty. I asked the service supervisor why only the front rotors was changed, and he told me that the rear rotors were still "within spec" (not undersize).<p>Is it true, or should the rear rotors be changed also? I heard that new pads have to used with new rotors also. Is it OK for me to use the rear Mintex pads with the old rotors? I'm not worried about the front ones because the rotors are still new anyway.<p>Thanks a lot. Any input would be greatly appreciated.<p>Eric M.<br>97 1.8TQMS (soon to be Mintexed....)<p>PS., The dealer also told me that I had to pay for the rear rotors if I wanted to have them replaced with the new ones because Audi wouldn't pay for rotors that are still good.
Old 06-15-1999, 10:56 AM
Marcus Frost

Default Here are my impressions...

Well I have been doing a lot or research into upgrades for my 99.5 1.8TQM, and this is what I have learned:<p>I plan on getting a chip, bigger wheels, suspension, etc - so keep that in mind.<p>Brakes on an audi are one of it's largest weaknesses. The design of it's brake system is not efficient at all for aggresive driving. The reason for that is because it holds heat and therefore causes wear. But the only way you can get your brakes very hot is from very aggressive braking, which I do not think you do (I am assuming). For someone who drives aggresively and has a little more power, they need to seriously consider replacing their brakes.<p>So what I think you are asking is if because you replaced your pads, do you need to replace your rotors - and the answer would be no. However slotted or cross drilled rotors do have their benefits (which are beyond the focus of this post). You will be fine with just the pads.<p>Enjoy the 90% less brake dust! <p>Marcus Frost<br>99.5 1.8TQM (22nd week!)
Old 06-16-1999, 06:43 AM
Chris C

Default Re: Should I change the rear rotors with new ones if I want to use Mintex pads??? (longish)

They are not required to change the rotors with the pads, however, the rotors must be turned if the pads are replaced. This ensures a smooth braking surface and more even wear.