A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Silver or Black???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver or Black???

Found out today that I cannot get my first choice color at a reasonable price (German market Achatgrau - a medium gray metallic) - Audi wants $1800 to do the special order.

So the question is - to all you owners of black Audis out there - is black really that difficult to deal with? Would you buy the color again? I am pretty picky about taking care of the car, so scratches would bother me ..... but the black cars sure look great when they are clean!

The only other color I like is silver although it is common, there are not that many Avants out there so I wopnt see myself coming and going.

Any long term experience withh either of these colors - how do the 96s look now?

Suggestions appppreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2000, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i love they way it looks, but i will never own another black car again. period, to hard to keep...

clean, i am way to busy to wash everyday, and i am picky about how it looks
Old 09-01-2000, 11:49 AM

Default Went from black ('97) to silver (99.5). Would not go back. (A bit more...)

Black looks great when it's clean, but but it shows every bit of dirt, as well as finger prints, the tiniest of scratches, and the like. Seemed I was forever washing the car. Silver hides all of the above extremely well, and you won't feel like you're living in a car wash, or a slave to your car. My two cents.

Philip
99.5 2.8QM
Old 09-01-2000, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default They say you will only own one black car in your life. <More>

I've had mine. Before my A4 I had a black civic dx coupe. Looked very nice when washed and waxed. This usually lasted a from 1 to 4 days depending on weather. Spent WAY too much time washing that damn car.

I now have a '00 Silver A4. Much easier to take care of. Only have to wash it once a week if that.

I will never buy another black car again unless I get rich enough to have a personal car attendant.
Old 09-01-2000, 11:56 AM

Default Look at the cars in your parking lot....

You will see 1 or 2 brand new black cars with a fresh coat of wax and nothing will look more impressive. Then look at the other black cars. Most will be slightly dirty or dusty, but they won't look nearly as good as the brand new freshly polished cars. Some of other other black cars may be clean and polished, but they will be covered with swirl marks.

Now look at the silver cars. If they are clean, they will look very good. If they are slightly dirty or dusty, the will still look good. None of them should have visible swirl marks. I would say that unless you are willing to clean your car every week, you will not be happy with a black car. You would also have to take precautions to avoid swirl marks. Very few people are willing to do this, especially after they have the car for a year or two.
Old 09-01-2000, 12:04 PM
JMB

Black = Great when clean Silver = Good almost always
Old 09-01-2000, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes & no...

Everything you've heard about black cars is true. I have a black Jetta now, it's a PITA to keep clean but I'm **** about it and wash it once a week, usually more. Being that I'm that particular about it I don't have a problem ordering another (see sig.) car in black. Just take care of it from the start and keep it up.
Old 09-01-2000, 01:09 PM
Elder Member

Default I'll second that. black looks great when new, or when the car (more)

is only driven on Sundays when the temp. is between 74 and 79, no wind, rain, low humidity, and never parked anywhere but in a climate-controlled garage. Seriously though, for a daily driver I would never buy a black car simply because it's next to impossible to keep the paint and clearcoat looking flawless over time. Weather and oxidation wreak havoc on all paint colors, but it's most noticeable on black. Ask Ed P., I think he's about ready to throw his hands up in frustration over keeping his ride clean. (Now if he can only keep the kids from spewing breakfast all over the interior....)
Old 09-01-2000, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: I'll third it...I have Santorian Blue and I will never buy another dark color..
Old 09-01-2000, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default will it be in a garage ?both my cars are black (yes, yes - i was asking for it)silver if no garage.

<p>2000 Avant 1.8T: Ebony/Ecru/Conv/Weath/BOSE/Xens
*MOMO interior items
*18x8.5 MAE monoblocks
*Eibach pro-kit
*Pirelli P7000S

Quick Reply: Silver or Black???