A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sirius satellite radio installed! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 01:34 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius satellite radio installed! :-)

Well, I went out for a few hours today, and installed this thing in my beater. It's a temporary install (all the black boxes and wiring are stashed in a box in my passenger side footwell). Why? Because Panasonic wasn't smart enough to provide power, switched, and ground wires long enough to reach from the back of the car (where most would install the receiver and antenna) to the front (where power is usually sourced). I'm going to have to wire in some connecting bits to get the power wire back there. Besides, I figure I'll give it a try for a month before I tear apart my interior making the installation more permanent. If I don't like it, I'll disconnect three wires behind the radio, and rip it out and throw it in the basement. :-P

Other install issues: None to speak of. It took a while for the radio to connect with a satellite. I had a person on the phone, who activated it for me, however it took a full 10 minutes before the damn thing found the satellite and started playing music. That's about it.

How do I like it: I fiddled with it for a few minutes...overall the concept is nice. A majority of the stations...I probably won't listen to after the initial thrill wears off. Since this is installed in my beater, it will entertain me on the way to and from work during the week. Long distance driving is where this system will really come in handy. I can't tell you how many times I've driven down south or out to the midwest, and ended up listening to country music (AHHHHHHHH). Sadly, the beater doesn't get used for long distance driving.

What's going to make or break Sirius (or any satellite service provider) is adding to their existing program base. It's no different than the concept of cable TV...people will pay for it, as long as the variety of subscription material is always available.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Typist Formerly Known as (skene)'s Avatar

Default Trust me you will find yourself listening to satellite radio more often than you think.

I too thought I would use it for the long trips back and forth from NY to PA... hehe.. I find myself listening to it instead of CDs or MP3s which my head unit is capable of as well.
Besides all of that... contact Sirius for the web based listening as well...

definately worth it.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:49 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, I've already become too lazy to pick out CD's...

Hell, I still haven't installed the CD changer in my S (the one I transplanted out of the A4 last June!). I usually just tune into a radio station and forget it, but the commercials drive me crazy...so satellite radio is convenient in that respect. I'm just not sure if there is enough variety to keep me entertained long term.

I did get the userid and password for web based listening, however I can't pipe that through a telephone wire, so it's all for naught. :-( Thanks though!
Old 03-23-2003, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default are you still on dialup?!?!?!

that's a sin!

:P
Old 03-23-2003, 03:23 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I don't have HDTV or contact lenses either.

I know...I'll be lucky if god lets me live through the end of this week!
Old 03-23-2003, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sacrilegious....

:P